Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

@bee - assistance with posting or importing a graphic to MFO

Good morning. I've seen you do this often but I can't figure it out. Is there a simple way to go about this?

I would like to post the 'Interactive graph' showing the one year performance comparison of BIAWX-FCNTX-SPY-QQQ-MGGPX. Actually the 3 & 5-yr graphs of the same are more illuminating but oh well.

I also could never figure out how to use the MFO premium site but that's a whole different lesson plan for another day.

Comments

• Hey Mark I struggle with this at times myself. One of the things that I use is a the app called Jing. Jing is a screen capture tool and there are some how to videos that would help. Pretty simple. I'm having a little trouble embedding it into the thread I typically end up having to just use a link. I know it's possible to have the graphic show up in the thread. Maybe someone else on the board would know how to link the graphic directly by embedding the code.

https://techsmith.com/jing-tool.html
  • Thanks @bee. I should have mentioned that I was trying to take the M* graph. I'll try using a different graphing platform first and if that doesn't work I'll move on to figuring out how to Jing. Or vice-versa. I'm enjoying the beach right now so it's hard to care at the moment.
  • edited January 2020
    @bee I wonder if using the image button at the top of the Discussion or Comment box as a way to display the image associated with the link will work with Jing. Have you tried that?

• Here's a M* chart showing a one year comparison between SPY, QQQ, and MGGPX.

You just have to use a legacy chart page. You can start with the chart above, or you can start with a "clean" chart for any fund. For example, here's the chart for MGGPX. (Just change the ticker in the URL for the fund of your choice.)

Below the graph is a link: share this chart. Clicking on that will give you the link to the chart as you've modified it (added comparisons, changed the timeframe, etc.)
  • @msf - thanks for your input. That might work, I'll try later. At first I was going to tell you that it failed. My fault for clicking on the fund symbol instead of the blue highlighted text contains the word 'chart'. That gave me the legacy chart you referenced.
  • I could (and probably should) have given the "clean" link explicitly. The "shared" link, however, is about 20 lines long, so that's one you never want to show the text for.

http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart?t=MGGPX&region=usa&culture=en-US
  • @msf and @mark... thanks very much for sharing this. Man you have to love the consistency of MGGPXs outperformance over the short and long term. I own it. I encourage folks to also take a look at MIOPX which holds a larger % of emerging markets in its portfolio and is a strong long term performer. Same management team.
  • @MikeW - I will share a post later about why I wanted to do all this. Nothing earth shattering. However I do agree with you about MGGPX, at least as long as I've been involved with it.
  • I took a quick peek via Schwab & since 2014 doing very good !
    Derf
  • edited January 2020
    @bee. Yeah. Tell me about it.

Apparently iframes are not allowed on the discussion board.

And, last year jing (and snagit) started employing iframes.

So, gone it seems are all those nice graphics we used to present on the board.

Unfortunately, I have so many images in jinq/snagit now that I'm stuck now. Like trying to switch to Android after you've been with Apple/iOS.

The jinq biz model was/is amazing too. For years, free! Then, build-up your library and if you don't start paying, you lose the library. Ouch. So, I now pay.

But, I also pay for NY Times, Washington Post, The Atlantic, and LA Times. (I dropped the WSJ because of its editorial board commentaries.) Oh, still pay for Barron's.

I now post images (in iframes) on the MFO Premium blog and in the monthly commentary.
  • @Mark.

"I also could never figure out how to use the MFO premium site but that's a whole different lesson plan for another day. "

Let's hook-up. I'd like to walk you through it via screenshare.

Please email me ([email protected]) a good time that works for you.

The premium site has never been better ... about to have holdings data as well.

c