Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Federal Reserve Bank Is Buying T-Bills And You Should Too

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4318061-federal-reserve-bank-is-buying-t-bills-and-you-should-too

The Federal Reserve Bank Is Buying T-Bills And You Should Too
Jan. 21, 2020 11:45 AM ETiShares Short Treasury Bond ETF (SHV)5 Comments
Summary
Investors should heed warning from the latest Fed move and consider purchasing the iShares Short Treasury Bond ETF.
SHV offers investors a safe return on short-term cash with a 30-day yield of 1.5% and a negative beta. The SHV is a very conservative way invest short-term capital.
The Federal Reserve Bank of New York added $60.7 billion in treasury bill purchases last week within the repo market

Comments

• Why would I buy SHV when MM pays the same?
    Because the Fed is expanding its balance sheet stocks and bonds are doing great..
    In the last 3 months (link) SHV made 0.4% but PIMIX made 2.7% and NHMAX(HY Muni) made 3% and SPY made over 10%
  • edited January 2020
    FD1000 said:

Why would I buy SHV when MM pays the same?
    Because the Fed is expanding its balance sheet stocks and bonds are doing great..
    In the last 3 months (link) SHV made 0.4% but PIMIX made 2.7% and NHMAX(HY Muni) made 3% and SPY made over 10%

My thought too. Only reason I can see is 100% defensive position. But they are buying because it is their job.