Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

from one year ago

Coulda written it this week.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robisbitts2/2019/02/08/long-term-investors-the-sp-500-is-not-your-friend-heres-why/#2897559fbb1d

Somewhat misleading hed aside, it is not clear to me what he is saying to do concretely, go balanced, or to VT plus some bond fund? Wonder how VT compares for these five periods.

Comments

• edited February 2020
    I took away that he’s saying not to be allured by shiny objects. Chart your own course. Include some underperformers along with your high-flyers for protection when the trend changes. However, it’s vague enough that each of us may read whatever we like to into it. Varying interpretations for sure.

Concretes?? Consider various alternative investment funds - loathed though they may be.
  • My take: Come on, to sell you something.
    Derf
  • This is the article author's take at May, 2018; laying forth that bonds again, are dead money. 'Course, those who watched know that many bond types had a decent 2019, eh?

Well, I don't know; you may judge for yourself from this six year chart. The author noted dead bond returns from "about" 2014. Not being a mind reader, I started the chart at early 2014.
    I chose a mix of bond types for an observation; being MINT (Pimco short duration), IEF (7-10 year Treasury), LQD (corp. bonds, various duration), EDV (Vanguard extended duration) and HYG (the etf proxy for junk bonds).

Summary: Investing is always interesting, eh?:)

Have a good remainder,
    Catch