Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Motifs: A Lower Cost, Customizable Alternative to ETFs?

Would be interested in what people here think of "Motifs".
----------------------------------------------------------
An interesting startup launched on June 4th called Motif Investing. The idea behind this new online brokerage is that people can buy baskets of up to 30 stocks (Motifs) centered around specific themes for a single charge of only $9.95 (about what sites like E-Trade charge to buy 1 stock).

However, what makes the concept interesting is the customization of these Motifs. Before buying the "Motif" you can alter the stock weightings or completely delete or add stocks for no additional cost -- as long as these changes are made before buying the Motif. Otherwise they charge $4.95 to sell a stock or add to a stock in a Motif you already own. But if you want to sell the entire basket of stocks in the Motif it's just $9.95.

In essence, these Motifs are like ETFs but customizable to your particular preferences and WITHOUT the ongoing fees charged by ETFs. Don't want Bank of America in the Motif? Take it out. Don't like that Apple is such a large weighting in a Tech related Motif? Reduce it's weighting.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I wrote some more on it here Motifs: A Lower Cost, Customizable Alternative to ETFs?. Im not a fan of the trendy "themes" but used right looks like an interesting tool.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    I think it's really, really interesting. I'm not really looking to invest in anything else at this point, but I'll have to keep this in mind. I do wish I could see more information about the motifs before having to sign up, but otherwise I can see looking into this down the road.

If there were long/short motifs or other alternative motifs I'd probably be much more immediately interested.
  • I like the idea a lot & will probably spend some time learning more about it and thinking through how I'd use it. I don't think I'm too hot on the themes they feature on the site (Caffeine Fix? Lots of Likes?), but I can see using it like the examples you gave on BoA & Apple.

Thanks for the heads-up, WSR.
  • edited June 2012
    Howdy WSR,
    Thank you for the note about the "Motifs".
    Additional.........for a forward thought as to being able to build one's own "Motif" using etf's. Not available at this time; but the stock only model could be applied to etf's, too.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • edited June 2012
    Yes thanks for the heads-up - it's interesting to see the different Motifs they put together and you can see which ones have been popular among customers.

For example - the CLOUD COMPUTING motif is rated very high interms of popularity. Top 3 holdings are VMware (22.7%), Citrix (12.5%), Salesforce (11.6%). They also provide a volatility and valuation ranking for each motif. This one is ranked in the middle for volatility with a high valuation.

RECESSION RESISTANT motif - moderate low volatility and valuation. Top 5 holdings: American Eagle Outfitters (6.4%), Flowers Foods (6.0%), Illinois Tool Works (5.8%), Intel (5.3%), Raytheon (5.3%). Other holdings here include Johnson & Johnson, Chevron, Molson Coors, General Dynamics, ADP, etc.

Here's how the Recession Resistant motif is built:

*Research*
    - Identified US-listed stocks and ADRs of companies with Debt to Equity ratio less than 50% and Dividends to Cash flow ratio less than 75% for the past 5 years
    - Screened for companies with more than $1B market capitalization and positive dividend growth over the past 2 years
    - Computed the current dividend yield for each company
    - Segmented companies by their primary operating industry

*Weight*
    - Ranked the companies in descending order of their dividend yield
    - Selected the top 20 ranked companies and equal-weighted them

*Rebalanced Annually*

LOTS OF LIKES motif - Walt Disney (14.1%), Nike (11.2%), Google (10.1%), Starbucks (8.0%), Coca-Cola (7.7%), Microsoft (5.9%), etc. This particular motif was built based on the number of 'likes' on Facebook and is weighted accordingly as well.

There's Cyber Security, Cash Flow Kings and Bailout-free Banks motifs.

SEVEN-DEADLY SINS motif: "Even In A Weak Economy, Bad Habits Remain Strong - Even in tough times, consumers continue to partake in things that may not be considered particularly virtuous. From cigarettes to sex, burgers to Botox®—consumer indulgences require products and services from a wide range of publicly traded companies. Some luxuries see reduced demand during tough times. But smokers could keep smoking, drinkers keep drinking, and the lustful keep…lusting. Bad habits are hard to break. And when times are rough, who wants to even try? Nobody can predict the markets, but consumers are only human. And economic conditions may not be able to defeat their appetites for sinful stuff."

Top 5 here are: Beam Inc (4.4%), Altria (4.4%), Reynolds American (4.3%), Diageo (4.2%), Phillips Morris International (4.1%)...and others that made it on the list include Goldman Sachs (Greed), Wynn Resorts, Las Vegas Sands, etc.

Top holdings in the GARP motif include: Apple, CA, America Movil, SABESP ADS, Credicorp, Aeropostale, Grupo Pao de Acucar ADS, Ambev ADS, etc.

There's also a BRICs BUILDING motif (not very popular) and here's how it's invested:

*Research*
    - Identified US-listed securities and ADRs of companies from Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa
    - Filtered out companies that derive more than 65% of their total revenue from foreign operations to create the Idea Index
    - Segmented companies by country

*Weight*
    - Allocated country segments based on each country's share of the total BRICS GDP
    - Determined each company’s domestic revenue as a percent of its total revenue
    - Applied a pure-play factor to give greater relative weight to companies that derive a higher percentage of their revenue from the BRICS countries
    - Weighted each company within a segment based on its market capitalization adjusted for domestic revenue exposure

*Optimize*
    Created the motif by running the Idea Index through our optimization engine to get a subset of stocks with the same risk/return characteristics as the Idea Index

• Hmm. What about tax accounting, assuming a taxable account? I imagine the brokerage is buying/selling shares in all those individual stocks for you, no?
  • Reply to @AndyJ: Good question. Is this somehow formally structured as one investment, or is it effectively buying/selling 30 different stocks?
  • I am wondering if you can create a MOTIF of ETFs giving instant diversification corresponding to your risk profile.
  • edited June 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply to @Maurice: No one said a word about "special tax treatment." The question is whether these things are structured as a single investment (one set of transactions to keep up with & enter on tax forms) versus a pile of individual stock positions (say 30+ sets of transactions to keep up with & enter on tax forms). Is that clear enough?
  • Reply to @AndyJ: It is in fact buying and selling these different stocks. I can see pluses and minuses there. Yes more reportable transactions, but also the capability of being even more tax efficient than an index fund "for an additional fee you’ll be able to harvest tax losses in these Motifs and then reinvest 31 days later, avoiding the wash-sale rules.". So you will be able harvest losses from individual positions within your custom "index".
  • Reply to @catch22: That's true and probably not a bad thing for them to implement at some point.
  • Reply to @Kaspa: As Catch22 was talking about, you can't at this time but I don't see why they could not allow that at some point.
  • edited June 2012
    Reply to @WallStreetRanter: Right; thanks, WSR. So apparently you buy whatever whole motif you want, and then tweak it however you want as you go.

Besides the advantage of tax-liability management, seems like you could also bank a lot of savings on trading commissions, versus owning a number of individual stock positions through a more traditional brokerage -- assuming there's a single motif either already offered, or that you can devise, that works for you. I hope I'm interpreting that right, anyway.
  • Reply to @Kaspa: i bet there are tons of ETF porfolios, but this seems unique for the retail space (institutions have enjoyed access to 'recommended baskets' for quite some time). Also, ETFs have imbedded fees. This offering seems to be keen on keeping the trading/holding costs down... just my initial thoughts.
  • Anyone ever investigate this service further? I'd forgotten about it until the other day and it appears they have continued to offer more and more "motifs".
  • Reply to @scott: Check out this M* discussion thread:

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSocialize/forums/p/305712/3254297.aspx#PageIndex=1

Like you mentioned earlier I too am pretty much loaded up but I am putting together a basket that I will open in my soon-to-be baby granddaughter's name. I opened a Roth for my grandson after he was born in a mutual fund which I just may sell and shift over as well.
  • edited July 2013
    It looks like they do accept ETFs (as well as stocks) in their baskets. Very interesting.

You could add your own hedges using inverse ETFs.
  • 30 stocks, which you can adjust at initial purchase, for $10 trading cost?? I haven't taken time to read their fine print, but I don't see how they can make enough profit to stay in business. It seems even less likely they could afford to allow individually constructed "motifs".