Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Donors Choose + Bill Gates, a short-term opportunity to do good

Hi, guys.

Just a quick heads up. I donated $50 today to Donors Choose, an organization that tries to get resources into the hands of elementary and secondary school teachers. Normally a teacher proposes a project ("I'd like to buy a clean reading rug for my kindergartners to sit on during story time") and D.C. offers a platform to attract possible donors. I give a little each month, and have done so for many years. In some ways I think D.C. shouldn't exist - towns should fund their d**g schools rather than asking teachers to buy soap for the students' hands or expecting citizen-philanthropists to do it - but they fill a real need.

Today's unusual. They're soliciting support for a Covid-19 initiative to help students learn from home. From now until midnight, the Gates Foundation is providing a 1:1 match. If you were looking for a way to do a bit of good - or to celebrate Day Three in the market - you might consider their appeal.

Or not. Goodness, there are lots of folks who legitimately need whatever help we can offer. Do good!

Comments

• While I didn't manage to assist this cause I did manage to up my contributions to Why Hunger and Doctors Without Borders.
  • Hi, Mark.

I'd never heard of WhyHunger before, though I did just skim their website. What strikes you about them?

The ulterior motive is that I do want to encourage folks, in our April issue, to reach out and I'd like to offer some "reader recommendations" for groups they trust.

David
  • edited March 2020
    Hi David,

Thank you for asking. I learned about them through Bruce Springsteen and others who were major backers at the beginning. People going hungry around the globe when there is so, so much food going to waste is just appalling to me. Also, besides getting the food to those in need there really seemed like there was much more that could be done in the way of teaching and assisting people in growing their own and providing it for others. "Why Hunger" goes after this in as big a way as they can. Rather than me butchering their mission statement, goals an ambitions here's a bit from their most recent email.

"We’ve been hearing from our partners across the country. Food banks and pantries are struggling to meet skyrocketing demand. Restaurant and food chain workers are facing unprecedented layoffs. Small farmers are losing vital income from restaurants and markets even as they try to ramp up production to support urgent needs in their communities. WhyHunger’s Hotline has been ringing nonstop, with calls increasing over 300% since last week.

WhyHunger is uniquely positioned to coordinate a national effort and provide direct relief to the people who are struggling along our food chain—food pantries and soup kitchens, small-scale farmers, jobless workers, and hungry people in need. We need to raise significant funds to have rapid impact and ensure healthy food access for vulnerable people. Supporting WhyHunger's Rapid Response Fund means:

° Having comprehensive impact on the hunger crisis unfolding across the country and ensuring your support is being used where it’s needed most.
    ° Supporting hunger relief efforts across the U.S. that have been vetted by WhyHunger and proven to be effective in their communities.
    ° Knowing your funds will directly support people in need, frontline food providers, workers and farmers.
    ° Investing in an organization with a proven 45-year track record and the highest 4-star rating for excellence in fiscal management, accountability, and transparency from Charity Navigator.

I hope this helps.

Edit: Shameless Plug:

P.S. If you or someone you know is need of help, visit WhyHunger.org/FindFood text your zip code to 1-800-548-6479, or if you need further assistance call 1-800-5HUNGRY (1-800-548-6479) to locate free, nutritious food in your community.
  • I've contributed in the past to Donors Choose (underfunding of public education is a crying shame), also Doctors Without Borders.
    With the upcoming infusion of unsought $$, I expect to be aiding local, direct efforts. No shortage of same in a large city.
    On other fronts and at other times, I've also contributed to Cloudbase Foundation, a group of glider pilots who contribute where they play, around the world. Because they know the community, they are very effective and fast at providing relief when needed.
    The Cloudbase Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit which empowers hang glider and paraglider pilots to be effective agents of change within communities where we fly.