Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Now there’s two kinds of sharks in New York.

edited July 2020 in Off-Topic
N.Y. POST STORY

“The most recent apex predators to take up residence in New York/New Jersey waters, according to the Ocearch online shark tracker, are Caroline (12 feet 9 inches long, 1,348 pounds), who pinged between Seaside Heights and Barnegat Light, NJ, on July 1; and Caper (8 feet, 348 pounds) and Cabot (9 feet, 533 pounds), whose electronic tags signaled on June 8 and 4, respectively, off the Hamptons.

New to the neighborhood is Vimy, a 1,164-pound behemoth nearly 13 feet long, who was tracked on July 10 in the deep ocean off Delaware and southern New Jersey. It’s possible he’s just doing a dive-by as he heads for the cool waters off Canada.

Mary Lee’s satellite tracker stopped working in 2017 when its five-year battery gave out, but scientists believe the locavore is alive and well.”

Comments

• I thought you were referring to the poor NYC woman who died in the first recorded great white shark death in Maine last weekend.

No one has died in Massachusetts since 2018 but they closed the same Cape Cod beach two days in a row this week because of shark sightings
  • The most interesting thing about this story is the presence of sharks isn't described as negative. I often see shark attack stories as signs of a slow news cycle.
  • Anyone else baffled by the fact that someone is standing in water deep enough for that shark to swim away, circle back, and bite them?
  • edited July 2020
    rforno said:

Anyone else baffled by the fact that someone is standing in water deep enough for that shark to swim away, circle back, and bite them?

My thought - There’s a lot more to fear from other humans than from sharks and most wildlife. (I did however experience a nasty sting from a jellyfish once off the Florida keys.)

• Totally agree that people suck far more than wildlife. That said, I grew up in Ft Lauderdale. I learned to give ManoWars, Jellyfish, and their ilk a wide wide berth on land, on, and under, the sea. Scary critters.
    hank said:

rforno said:

Anyone else baffled by the fact that someone is standing in water deep enough for that shark to swim away, circle back, and bite them?

My thought - There’s a lot more to fear from other humans than from sharks and most wildlife. (I did however experience a nasty sting from a jellyfish once off the Florida keys.)
  • I was tickled by the note under the shark pic :"This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge."

I was afraid to follow that last command.
    David