Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

RIP Agent 007 / Sean Connery Dies at 90

edited October 2020 in Off-Topic
In a weird coincidence I watched Connery’s From Russia With Love last evening. Enjoyed it so much I ordered three more of his classic James Bond flicks from eBay around midnight. This morning I learned the sad news that Connery had passed away overnight.

BTW - a lot of used DVDs can be had on eBay for $5-$8 with shipping (or a few bucks more for blu-ray quality). Alternatively, Amazon appears to be charging about $4 for a 48-hour rental for those Prime members who prefer streaming.

STORY

Comments

• Check out The Man Who Would be King.

My wife and I like to watch Marni, just to hear Connery pronounce Marni.
  • edited November 2020
    WABAC said:

Check out The Man Who Would be King. My wife and I like to watch Marni, just to hear Connery pronounce Marni.

I actually own Marni on DVD - result of a Hitchcock binge a few years back. If I decide to do Hitchcock again, it’s at the top of the list.

Geez - I’ve watched a couple Roger Moore Bond flicks recently and, while engaging at the time, afterward I felt like it had been largely a waste of time. As the difference appears to be in the script rather than acting, I’m left wondering whether Connery was perhaps uniquely qualified at pulling off the Bond subtleties I enjoy. Writers for Moore may have had to change the script to something he could work with. Of course, it could also be that audience tastes had evolved beyond Connery’s day.