Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Preview to 2021 Cap Gains Distributions

edited August 2021 in Fund Discussions
M* warns of a couple funds that might have biggies...

https://www.morningstar.com/articles/1052941/4-funds-to-watch-at-tax-time?utm_source=eloqua&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_fundspy&utm_content=31014

Disclaimer: With 96% of our nest egg in tax-deferred a/c's, CGs are NOT an issue for us.

Comments

• Mentioned: ClearBridge Aggressive Growth A (SHRAX) , T. Rowe Price Real Estate (TRREX) , Hennessy Focus Investor (HFCSX) , Neuberger Berman Multi-Cap Opp A (NMUAX)
  • We migrated to index funds and ETFs in order to minimize large capital gains distribution. So far so good, but we still pay tax on dividends.
  • I've also migrated much of my portfolio to ETFs. Each year I start a new spreadsheet with the expected distributions. The mutual funds is a big guess, but I look at the past few years for a ballpark number.
    As the year goes by and taxable money comes in, I replace my guesses with the actual numbers. I still guess between qualified and regular dividends.
    By the end of the year, thanks to the kind folks here at MFO, I find out what the fund companies are estimating.
    I might sell at gains during the year, but it is starting in November when I make my final plans on what I sell. Seems to work for me.