Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

our October updates are posted

Hi, guys.

Just a reminder.

The question we'll most need to think about is how vigorously to pursue the prospect of conference calls with interesting folks. My preference would be to do paired calls; that is, two long/short managers in consecutive calls (November and December or November and January, depending on how frequently we arrange them). A bunch of these folks are really interesting to talk to, so I'd like to give folks the chance to connect with them if I can.

Take great care,

David

Comments

• Sir, I just wanted to say one does not have to shell out $1M or $5M to buy AQRNX. One can buy for $100 at Scottrade. Also I don't think it is a momentum fund while are other AQR funds that have word "momentum" in their name.
  • Personally I am not rushing to get into Whitebox WBMAX / WBMRX either, but I was a little surprised at David's reaction to the fund. There were several commentaries and profiles over the summer specifically on long-short funds (which I thought were very helpful and well written). I think a review of Whitebox would be an interesting continuation of the thought process behind those articles.
  • I'll just register a vote for the conference call approach to digging into newer, interesting, and innovative funds-- that is, if it's worth David's time considering the number of participants. The board's had a number of mentions of funds like that recently, so there'd be a pretty good menu to draw from. I'm recalling Whitebox, ARLSX, BRTNX, and RWGFX, just off the top of the cabeza here.

If it turns out not to be worth the time to do the calls as a regular feature, the interview approach David used for SFGIX would be great too.

• David, regarding Fidelity's rolling out new funds, one of the ways fund families such as Fidelity supposedly goosed the returns of new funds was to give those funds (regardless of the funds stated investment philosophy in the prospectus) allotments of IPOs, and then selling for a quick gain before the fund's holdings had to be divulged at the end of the quarter. The decline in IPO launch activity has limited the ability to exploit this tactic.
  • Reply to @claimui: Hear, hear.
  • edited October 2012
    Reply to @AndyJ: Agree. Andy lists several funds of interest.