Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Doug Ramsey, Leuthold CIO, on investing in the markets ahead

Interesting web call today from Doug Ramsey. Leuthold is, as you know, determinedly quant so it's rather more data-rich and informative than folksy and engaging. They've promised to share a copy with me, and I'll share it with you if I can.

Highlights:
  • both yield curve inversions and six-month drops in the index of Leading Economic Indicators are pointing to a business downturn beginning in fall. Both are eight-for-eight with no false positives as predictors, though their "predictions" occur with "long and variable lags." The window for a yield curve inversion has been four to 16 months previously. Others observe that Fed actions presage recession by about two years.
  • the last false signal from a yield curve inversion was in the mid 1960s. Doug talked a bit about the differences in economic conditions between then and now.
  • the stock market generally rallies - on average by 13% - immediately after a curve inversion, before rolling over. Currently it's up 16%.
  • US inflation has dropped like a rock but “…Fed policy has never been this tight with inflation having already come down significantly.”
  • the stock market is not in a bubble, but in in the top 10% of historic valuations
  • seven to nine stocks have gone crazy, driving all of the year's returns of the S&P 500. They're the best candidates for a smackdown.
  • midcap valuations are good, small cap valuations are historically good. That judgment looks only at the valuations of the 80% of small caps that operate in the black, so "small quality" might be worth your attention.
  • the valuation on small caps relative to large caps is as extreme as the late 1990s. Remember that the S&P 50 corrected by 50% in 2000-02. The S&P Equal Weight index and small caps vastly outperformed back then.
  • assuming 6% earnings growth and normal valuations as the base, large caps are priced for 3.5% returns in the medium term, mid caps are 6-7% and small caps are at 8-9%. Foreign corporate earnings still have not returned to their 2007 levels which makes such calculations for EAFE and EM, given Leuthold's discipline, impossible.
  • Average stock likely to perform much better over the next 3-5 years than the average index because the average index is so beholden to a few vastly overextended stars.
  • Leuthold Core Investment today is 51% net equities with no evidence that they're going to drop toward their 30% minimum allocation; their investable universe looks like the S&P 1500 Equal Weight and that's not looking nearly as risky as it did 18 months ago.

• Don't hold me to all of that yet. Those reflect my type-as-he-talks notes, and I'll need to cross-check against the original when I get it. I'm guessing that I got 95% right ... leading to only a 5% chance that I'm leading you to insanity, despair and poverty!

For what that's worth,

David

Comments

• Data rich, indeed. THANK you, David!
  • Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
  • I would be curious if he mentioned gold or real estate. In January he mentioned both to Market Watch.
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-crazy-retirement-portfolio-has-just-beaten-wall-street-for-50-years-11672945313
  • They've trimmed gold from 6% to 2% and are looking for "an exit point" to go further. He charted the recent decline in YOY inflation against the record for the rate at which inflation normally subsides. (Data maybe from '62 on?) The current rate has dropped farther and faster than normal which, I assume, makes a gold hedge less attractive.

No recall of a discussion on real estate. I'll check the replay when I can!
  • the valuation on small caps relative to large caps is as extreme as the late 1990s. Remember that the S&P 50 corrected by 50% in 2000-02. The S&P Equal Weight index and small caps vastly outperformed back then.
    Reading this in other places lately. Along with the return of dividends, value . . . and the Talking Heads?

I'm still waiting...I'm still waiting...I'm still waiting...
    I'm still waiting...I'm still waiting...I'm still waiting...
    I'm still waiting...I'm still waiting...
    The feeling returns
    Whenever we close our eyes
    Lifting my head
    Looking around inside

The island of doubt
    It's like the taste of medicine
    Working by hindsight
    Got the message from the oxygen
    Making a list
    Find the cost of opportunity
    Doing it right
    Facts are useless in emergencies

The feeling returns
    Whenever we close our eyes
    Lifting my head
    Looking around inside

Happy Friday:
  • @WABAC Thanks. Someone spent a lot of time putting that video together. I must be old; as I recognize/recall viewing many of the faces/acts.
  • omg. so cool.
  • edited June 2023
    I have great respect for Leuthold and think they may well be right in this particular case, but having been to Vanguard's offices, I can't help remembering this framed poster described here:

https://ritholtz.com/2014/02/the-best-investment-advice-youll-never-get-2/
    In July 1971, the first index fund was created by McQuown and Fouse with a $6 million contribution from the Samsonite Luggage pension fund, which had been referred to Fouse by Bill Sharpe, who was already teaching at Stanford. It was Sharpe’s academic work in the 1960s that formed the theoretical underpinning of indexing and would later earn him the Nobel Prize. The small initial fund performed well, and institutional managers and their trustees took note.....

...But even in San Francisco, as in the country’s other financial centers, Fouse and McQuown’s findings were not a welcome development for brokers, portfolio managers, or anyone else who thrived on the industry’s high salaries and fees. As a result, the counterattack against indexing began to unfold. Fund managers denied that they had been gouging investors or that there was any conflict of interest in their profession. Workout gear appeared with the slogan “Beat the S&P 500,” and a Minneapolis-based firm, the Leuthold Group, distributed a large poster nationwide depicting the classic Uncle Sam character saying, “Index Funds Are UnAmerican,” implying that anyone who was not trying to beat the averages was nothing more than an unpatriotic wimp. (That poster still hangs on the office walls of many financial planners and fund managers.)
    I suspect that poster might be a collector's item now. Bogle welcomed the challenge and found it amusing.

• edited June 2023
    With the current popularity of index funds, it's interesting to note the launch of the Vanguard 500 Index
    (initially named First Index Investment Trust) was not a success.
    The plan in 1976 was to raise $150 million but only $11.32 million was raised.
    Vanguard 500 Index grew to $100 million in 1982 but $58 million of this amount was attributed to a fund merger. This fund also had an 8.5% sales charge!

Excerpted from Charley Ellis' book The Index Revolution:
    "In the fall of 1974, Nobel Laureate Paul Samuelson had written 'Challenge to Judgment,' an article arguing that a passive portfolio would outperform a majority of active managers and pleading for a fund that would replicate the Standard & Poor’s (S&P) 500 index. Two years later, in his regular Newsweek column, Samuelson reported, 'Sooner than I expected, my explicit prayer has been answered' by the launch of the Bogle-LeBaron First Index Fund."

"Samuelson notwithstanding, the First Index launch was not a success. Planned to raise $150 million, the offering raised less than 8 percent of that, collecting only $11,320,000. As a 'load' fund, with an 8.5 percent sales charge, aiming to achieve only average performance, it could not gain traction. The fund then had performance problems. While outperforming over two-thirds of actively managed funds in its first five years, in the next few years it fell behind more than three-quarters of equity mutual funds. High fixed brokerage commissions were one problem. A larger problem came with 'tracking' difficulties. To minimize costs, the portfolio did not own all the smaller-capitalization stocks in the S&P 500. Instead, it sampled the smaller stocks just as that group enjoyed an unusually strong run, so the fund failed to deliver on its 'match the market' promise."

"Renamed Vanguard Index 500 in 1980 and tracking the index closely, the fund grew to $100 million in 1982, but only because $58 million—more than half—came by merging into the fund another Vanguard fund 'that had outlived its usefulness.' Finally, as index funds began to gain acceptance with some investors, the Vanguard fund reached $500 million in 1987."

• edited June 2023
    Interestingly, Leuthold Select Industries, LSLTX, has beaten VFINX, the Vanguard S&P 500 fund, since its inception but lagged VIMAX, the Vanguard mid-cap index fund. Depending on how you want to define the Leuthold fund, you could call that success. It is currently categorized, though, as mid-cap.
  • Interestingly, Leuthold Select Industries, LSLTX, has beaten VFINX, the Vanguard S&P 500 fund, since its inception but lagged VIMAX, the Vanguard mid-cap index fund. Depending on how you want to define the Leuthold fund, you could call that success. It is currently categorized, though, as mid-cap.

LSLTX beat VFINX because the SP500 lost money in 2000-2010. Starts at 01/2009 or 01/2010 and VFINX easily beat it.
    https://schrts.co/jsNPGjKR

• edited June 2023
    To eliminate an entire decade of performance and then start at the bottom of the bear market in 2009 is a bit too much cherrypicking.
  • edited June 2023
    I posted 2009 or 2010. Since 2010, 2011 the SP500 did much better. The SP550 had a huge run of 250% in just 5 years 1995-1999 https://schrts.co/ykvzeewQ
    In the next 10 years 2000-2010 it lost money. https://schrts.co/wVEarbKn

A chart since 2010 shows that VFINX made 398% and much better than LSLTX at 248%. That's "only" 150% more
    https://schrts.co/KzDIWqjt
  • edited June 2023
    To leave out an entire decade of a fund’s performance when it’s particular style was in favor and it was having its brightest moments is cherry-picking. It would be like leaving out Babe Ruth’s home runs and saying he was only a so-so player. It’s also an interesting moment we’re in now where small- and mid-caps may come back and Leuthold will shine again. A fairer question or criticism is whether the fund should be compared to the S&P 500 or a mid-cap index as the entirety of the fund’s record looks good against one benchmark but not so good against the other. It’s a tricky question as it is really an all-cap fund. A total market index isn’t really a right benchmark either as those tend to be 90% large cap.
  • edited June 2023
    the valuation on small caps relative to large caps is as extreme as the late 1990s. Remember that the S&P 50 corrected by 50% in 2000-02. The S&P Equal Weight index and small caps vastly outperformed back then.

That’s been my (uneducated) opinion for some time. For a glimpse, I just looked at an old time TRP small cap fund PRNHX. It lost 34% in 2022, but is up over 12% this year. Not too shabby. Ignoring common sense, I’ve been clinging to a tiny (less than 2%) holding in a small holding company (think of a “Mini-Berkshire”) that holds a couple dozen small caps (auto dealers, TV stations, publishers, etc.). Highly recommended in Barron’s a year ago. Haven’t lost anything. But haven’t made much either. Still waiting for “lift-off” .:)

On the topic of Barron’s - It’s easy to dismiss them for too many reasons to recount here. But I’ll say one thing … Some of their stock analysis is well reasearched. They have the resources to look into things like balance sheets, cash flow, book value, potential break-up value, recent insider “buys & sells”, changes in short positions, acquisition potential etc. that many of us have neither time nor resources to investigate - especially if doing so for a number of different stocks.
  • edited June 2023
    I have a lovely collection of small cap funds . . . that I bought at the end of 2021 when they were less undervalued than they are now.. :)
    Average stock likely to perform much better over the next 3-5 years than the average index because the average index is so beholden to a few vastly overextended stars.
    I've got average too.

Making a list.
    Find the cost of opportunity.

Leuthold sings: "Don't believe me? Just watch."

Working by hindsight.
  • Unfortunately, LSLTX doesn't have a longer history. Comparing VS the SP500 after a huge 5 years run and then losing for the next 10 years isn't fair either.

2009-10 IMO is fairer.
  • Very interesting discussion…. A couple of questions about LSLTX…. First on Morningstar it says the fund only has $12M in assets. That seems awfully small for a fund that’s been around this long. Wondering if this is accurate. And Second the expense rate at 1.5% is high. Is Leuthold good enough that he can overcome such a high rate?
  • @MikeW, for LSLTX (seems the only class) Fido shows AUM range of $9.50 (2020) - $19.86 (2017) million for 2014-23; now $11.89 million.
    https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/view-all/527289201?type=sq-NavBar
  • Thx Yogi….I’m wondering why it hasnt attracted more assets. Leuthold Core certainly has
  • edited June 2023
    The Q1 2023 Quarterly Report indicates LSLTX had net assets totaling $12.8 million.
    Per the prospectus dated 01/31/2023, the fund's net annual expense ratio is 1.50%.
    The gross expense ratio before reimbursement (contract runs through 11/13/2023) is 1.86%.
    The fund's high cost will be a challenging hurdle to overcome.
  • edited June 2023
    It's too expensive and has too much turnover?

Edit: The Observant1 beat me to it while I was typing with both fingers.
  • edited June 2023
    Turnover was 105.72% for the year ended 09/30/2022!
  • @MikeW, LSLTX does mild sector rotation with top 3 sectors now being techs, consumer cyclicals, industrials, accounting for 58% of tiny fund assets. This strategy never became popular and not many such funds exist anymore. You also noted its high ER.
  • Thanks Yogi. For its asset class which is listed as mid cap blend it’s done well. But that ER is a killer… also if you look at its portfolio it’s not really mid cap blend…. Largest holdings are MSFT AAPL LRC UNH etc… all large caps…. I was initially intrigued but think I will pass.
  • edited June 2023
    No question, fees are high and assets are small on LSLTX. The mainstay here is LCORX, but that is much harder to compare against anything as it holds different asset classes and moves around them tactically. If anything, a somewhat fair comparison would be against a traditional 60/40 indexed balanced fund like VBIAX. My cursory analysis is since its 1995 inception, LCORX has beaten VBIAX with a cumulative 695% return versus VBIAX's 651%, but there has been much fluctuation between the two in recent years. As I've said previously, Leuthold is a good shop. But it's a mistake to ever rule the indexers out.
  • I do wonder how much of that was Steve Leuthold personally. I get a sense that the firm had a fairly major refresh at the point of Steve's retirement, rethinking a number of positions that might have been getting a bit too dogmatic.

Last year Leuthold published, in the same week, one article that said the stock market was screwed and another that said it was doing just fine. When I reached out to ask what was up they said that they've been working to encourage independence of thought across the firm and that especially the institutional research side often marches to a different drummer than the investment management side. The institutional research people tend to be more risk tolerant, investment management people more risk conscious.
  • edited June 2023
    LCORX?
    I have been recommending PRWCX easily over 10 years. It's one of the best allocation funds of all time. Yes, I know, it's a flexible go-anywhere fund.
    Since the inception of LCORX...LCORX made 695% while PRWCX made "only" 1453.8%(more than double). I don't know how Giroux keeps doing it with AUM over 50 bil, just amazing.
  • bpkis...spy much better over all periods
  • edited June 2023
    According to LCORX's Fact Sheet, its investment objective is: "Capital appreciation and income while maintaining prudence in terms of managing exposure to risk. Investment guidelines are 30%-70% equity exposure and 30%-70% fixed income." What is the value in comparing it to a 100% equity fund like SPY after the longest equity bull market in history just ended? PRWCX is a fairer comparison as is VBIAX, and PRWCX has been a terrific fund.