Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Falling knife, are you willing to get cut !

13»

Comments

• edited January 2
    FD thinks we’re all 25 years old and should therefore be positioned for the next 50 years.

(Try 25+25+25+3)

Would he tell his great grandma who’s depending on the money to see her through retirement to throw it all into the S&P?
  • @hank, I'm pretty sure know one takes him serious. Maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but I don't think so.
  • I dunno @MikeM, I give FD just as much credibility as anyone else who posts.. he's got good investing experience as well as life experience. We can always learn something from each other and ya sometimes have a few chuckles and disagreements as well

Best regards

Baseball fan
  • edited January 2
    Owning an extra fund or two can be an aid to prevent excessive trading. An undisciplined investor who owns only one fund (to cover a major asset class) may be tempted to trade and constantly chase better performing funds — almost certainly leading to underperformance.

Owning several funds — if you know what you own and why — causes no harm. It can increase investor comfort and lead to portfolio stability. If the investor rebalances wisely, it may even generate outperformance.
  • chang said:

Owning several funds — if you know what you own and why — causes no harm. It can increase investor comfort and lead to portfolio stability. If the investor rebalances wisely, it may even generate outperformance.

Agreed. Besides their overall holdings and investing style, my 2 other criteria for holding similar funds are: how much do they overlap, and am I comfortable with it? And what are the expenses, and does any overlap justify the added fee?

• We can always learn something from each other...
    Sorry @Baseball_Fan. I learn nothing from repetitive gloating nor can I believe someone who always says they made the perfect call - after the fact.

• We can always learn something from each other and ya sometimes have a few chuckles and disagreements as well

@Baseball_Fan - A line from Desiderata comes to mind:

”Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.”

• MikeM said:

Wifey prefers that I continue to move more from tax-sheltered to taxable.
    That sure sounds like a bad idea to me @Crash, unless you are paying taxes now and converting to a Roth.
    Truth. :)

But I did not mention that we simply do not pay any Federal tax through the 1040. We have not done so for years, and don't expect to, this coming year. Zero tax due, after deductions. Moving the $$$ to taxable just simplifies things for wifey if the worst should happen to me.

I understand your thinking, completely.
  • @Crash ". Zero tax due, after deductions." Deductions from your wife's pay check ? If that's what your saying , will they be enough to cover withdrawals from tax-sheltered account ?
    With that said, it may be better to pay taxes now than later ?
    Happy New Year to you & wifey, Derf
  • MikeM said:

We can always learn something from each other...
    Sorry @Baseball_Fan. I learn nothing from repetitive gloating nor can I believe someone who always says they made the perfect call - after the fact.

(link)

• edited January 3
    Derf said:

@Crash ". Zero tax due, after deductions." Deductions from your wife's pay check ? If that's what your saying , will they be enough to cover withdrawals from tax-sheltered account ?
    With that said, it may be better to pay taxes now than later ?
    Happy New Year to you & wifey, Derf

Hello, @Derf.
    No, I meant just the married/joint tax return standard deduction, plus the small extra deduction because I'm over 65. Even with no tax due expected, we still must file. Don't want any trouble down the road. Wifey is officially unemployed. Wink, wink. All reported income is mine, nothing from her. SS, pension, investment income.