Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

United finds loose bolts on Boeing jets grounded after blowout incident

edited January 9 in Off-Topic
Following are edited excerpts from a current report in The Washington Post:

The finding, part of a preliminary inspection ordered by the FAA, raises questions about possible systematic problems with the Boeing 737 Max 9 jet

United Airlines on Monday said preliminary inspections of grounded Boeing 737 Max 9 planes have turned up loose bolts and other issues with the part of the aircraft that failed on an Alaska Airlines flight over Portland last week, raising concerns of a systematic problem with the jetliner.

In some cases, the bolts needed additional tightening, the carrier said. The inspections of more than 100 Alaska and United planes manufactured by Boeing were ordered by the Federal Aviation Administration after a door plug blew out of the Alaska flight midflight Friday, causing injuries and chaos.

Boeing did not comment on United’s reported finding on the loose bolts Monday, which occurred as part of preliminary inspections that have been ongoing since Saturday. On Monday, the FAA said airlines can begin inspections in earnest using guidance from Boeing and the agency.

One hundred seventy one Boeing 737 Max 9 planes have been grounded amid the investigation into the rapid depressurization accident Friday, which triggered an emergency lan

Note: Test emphasis added.

Comments

• edited January 8
    @Old_Joe -

The quality and depth of your several posts on this subject are truly impressive and greatly appreciated. By contrast, much of the media seems confused. CBS led off its national newscast this evening with Laura Norah McDonnell O’Donnell stating that “… all Boeing 737s have been grounded”. (Beauty and brains don’t always go together.)

Also - Thanks @Crash for moving this to off topic. Close call - but more appropriately OT I think. And Lord knows we can use more viewers over here.
  • @hank - did you mean Norah O'Donnell?
  • edited January 8
    Mark said:

@hank - did you mean Norah O'Donnell?

Thanks for the correction Mark. Should have checked name / spelling before posting. Kinda tired from travel today.
  • Here is more info on 737 Max planes.
    https://npr.org/2024/01/08/1223517098/door-plug-boeing-737-max-portland-ntsb-faa

Long time ago, an engine fell off a Boeing plane in flight near O’Hare airport. They found planes cracked pylon that holds the engines in place on a number of planes. Since then, the airframe gets inspected after certain hours in flight.
  • .....But I did not move this thread to OT. :)
    SOMEONE did... As noted by @Old_Joe, the INVESTMENT implications here are pretty obvious, thus I originally put the thing into the "other investing" category. to wit.:
    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/BA?p=BA&.tsrc=fin-srch
  • No lock washers or aviation nuts in use ? It appeared from photo that insulation was firmly fastened !
  • It would be nice if when "management" moves a thread that they simply give us a short note within the thread as to why. At least we'd all have a better idea of what's going on. It's called "communication", folks. :)
  • "No lock washers or aviation nuts in use ? "

@Derf - Yeah, for sure one does wonder about these things.
  • edited January 9
    Crash said:

.....But I did not move this thread to OT. :)
    SOMEONE did... As noted by @Old_Joe, the INVESTMENT implications here are pretty obvious, thus I originally put the thing into the "other investing" category …

@Crash. I just assumed you had changed the designation to OT. I sometimes change the designation of a thread I start if it progresses from investing into areas better suited for OT. I think that’s an appropriate and responsible thing to do so the investing section doesn’t get diluted with a lot of non-investing discussion.

Everything has “investing implications” in a broader sense: politics, automobiles, health & safety, professional sports, woman’s fashion (and certainly air transportation safety). Suppose we might toss in global warming, the war in Ukraine, Harvey Weinstein’s sex tapes, Donald Trump’s indictments and … (my favorite) Johnny Depp’s multi-million dollar divorce settlement.:)