Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fishing prowess

I truly don't have any desire to wrestle the monster fish in the ocean around here. But we know someone who went out today and caught a Blue Marlin weighing 448 pounds. I shit you not. I have pictures but they were sent through Facebook, so they are un-share-able. And the State or the charter boats have their own regulations: if the fish is more than 100 pounds, that catch goes to the skipper, to be sold to the local restaurants. My wife is 60 inches high. This fish, strung up by its tail, dwarfs her.

Other species were caught, and we are helping to eat them. "Ahi" yellowfin tuna. The best of the best. I like mine raw, sashimi-style, with wasabe.
https://www.hawaii-seafood.org/wild-hawaii-fish/blue-marlin-kajiki/
https://www.hawaii-seafood.org/wild-hawaii-fish/yellowfin-tuna/

Comments

• edited January 7
    Long ago on several occasions, I caught a few school tuna (think they were all yellowfin)
    which weighed approximately 50 lb. - 75 lb. Great fighting fish and delicious to eat!
  • edited January 7
    A 525 lb. bluefin tuna recently sold for nearly $800,000 at Tokyo's largest fish market.
    Hmm... Maybe my portfolio should include an allocation to Grade #1 bluefin tuna? :-)
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/business/2024/01/05/tuna-new-year-auction/
  • How many of you did what I did upon reading the @Observant1 post above - computed the per pound price of that tuna meat before processing?
  • edited January 6
    $789,000 ÷ 525 lb. = $1,502.86/lb.
    That's one expensive fish!
  • Grinning here. .... But... Is Bluefin Tuna the same thing as Blue Marlin, I'm wondering...

• I wonder how Charlie feels about this catch !? I'll bet you it doesn't wind up in a can of tuna fish !!!
  • edited January 8
    Not to rain on your parade. I’ve hauled in 30-35 pound salmon with heavier gear trolling deep water in the great lakes and have landed 2-3 pound rainbow, brook or brown trout hooked on light tackle in shallow streams and ponds. For sheer enjoyment and satisfaction, the smaller fish take the prize over the larger. And generally speaking they are of exceptional eating quality as well.
  • hank said:

Not to rain on your parade. I’ve hauled in 30-35 pound salmon with heavier gear trolling deep water in the great lakes and have landed 2-3 pound rainbow, brook or brown trout hooked on light tackle in shallow streams and ponds. For sheer enjoyment and satisfaction, the smaller fish take the prize over the larger. And generally speaking they are of exceptional eating quality as well.

I much prefer freshwater, too @hank.
  • @Crash, blue marlin is different from blue fin tuna.
  • Well I guess I can name two fishermen that won't become Old Salts !
  • @Sven. :). Yes, that's what I thought. There is a switch from one to the other, above.
  • edited January 9
    I had never eaten fresh tuna (only canned stuff) before someone on this board mentioned how good it tastes several years ago. Tried it. Liked it. Now a regular part of diet. I don’t eat fried foods, so broil it. Aside from some smoked salmon and canned tuna and salmon, the tuna fillets are about the only fish I eat (marinate them first).

BTW - People do change sometimes. When I was 25-35 you couldn’t drag me off the waters of the great lakes. Sometimes launched / relaunched my 16’ boat twice the same day (morning / early evening). Clean one catch and go back for more. Alas, fishing now seems to me an immense waste of time. Sold boat 10 years ago and bought a bicycle. We have some marvelous bike paths in Michigan. I also travel more than in those days. Had never seen NYC until around age 65. Now get out there about twice a year, mainly for theater. But I do remember how appealing fishing once was.

Catch a Big One guys!.
  • @hank "Alas, fishing now seems to me an immense waste of time." I agree, it's the catching I miss ! Your wife must have been very forgiving as mine was. At one time I fished 4-5 times a week until hunting season opened.
    Have a good week, Derf
  • Our place on the Russian River has a small dock that our neighbors use to try for Steelhead trout, a local salmonid. I don't fish myself, but we've eaten some delicious fresh steelhead dinners when the fishermen have enough to share. I've seen some pretty good-sized steelhead come out of that river.
  • Fishing ROCKS. The solitude. Time to unload all the junk collected in the head. Just nature and me and the water and the fish. Don't let the NEXT one get away!