Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

advised and subadvised

quick question : how must one query mfopremium to list all advised and subadvised vehicles? (e.g., by Wellington Group)

Comments

• My first recommendation is always to drop a quick note to Charles, Master of It All. He's Charles@ followed by the name of our site.

My second recommendation is to choose "Management" in the screener then either Adviser or Sub-adviser but not both. Using both seems to have and embedded "and" in the underlying search, so it looks for funds which are simultaneously advised and sub-advised by Wellington, of which there are none.

The screener shows 137 sub-advised funds though Wellington is not the sole sub on all of those.

For what that's worth, David
  • ah ! i always search blog before asking, and will email with trickier question.
  • just ran across this active list, which makes it simpler for vanguard consolidators :
    https://institutional.vanguard.com/portfolio-manager/firm
  • Great find! A little quirky though.

It has two entries for Global Wellington - Admiral shares and Investor shares. That's redundant. So far that seems to be the only double listing, but I've just skimmed the page.
  • I checked the link just now. "Data is unavailable at this time. Please try again later."
    Must be time sensitive !!
  • edited February 16
    Derf said:

I checked the link just now. "Data is unavailable at this time. Please try again later."
    Must be time sensitive !!

Received HTTP 502 error (bad gateway error) when attempting to access the web page.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_502
  • edited February 16
    I periodically review the list of Vanguard active portfolio managers.
    There are a few select firms which manage three or more Vanguard funds¹.
    It may be beneficial to focus on these firms.

Data as of 12/31/2023
    Baillie Gifford (6)
    Primecap Management (3)
    Pzena Investment Management (4)
    Wellington Management Company (23)

¹ Many Vanguard active funds have multiple managers from multiple firms.
    _There are "too many cooks in the kitchen" for some of these funds.
  • edited February 16
    d
  • link works fine for me.
    note that many manage a fraction of the fund, and its listed but not sortable by %.
    still , been looking for this a long time and better organized than usual for vanguard.
  • edited February 17
    Many firms are responsible for managing only a fraction of a fund's total assets.
    There are several firms which manage 100% of assets for one or more Vanguard funds:
    Baillie Gifford (1)
    Ninety One North America (1)
    Primecap Management (3)
    Wellington Management Company (12)
  • edited March 22

@a2z. @David_Snowball. Thank you.

There are several parameters on MFOP that can be searched independently of other selection criteria: Symbols, Fund Names, Socially Conscious?, Adviser Names, Manager Names, and all the Holdings metrics (Names, Ticker, Sector, Security Type, Country, Currency, Debt).

They are denoted with a Plus? label. So, in this case, one can get funds advised and subadvised by Wellington by selecting Plus? Yes for the Adviser and then selecting Wellington for the SubAdviser.

I just ran MFOP and found 161 funds (oldest share class only) either Advised or SubAdvised by Wellington. Here's link to pdf.

c