Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

CNN, 5pm Saturday update, Drones were launched from within Iran towards Israel

Comments

• There is not much that trades over the weekend. VIX was to be trading 24/7 somewhere in the world, but it isn't there. Even gold trading takes a short break over the weekend.

But, cryptos trade all the time. So, looking at it over the last 12 hours,

Bitcoin initially fell 8%, but now down only 4.5%,

Digital-gold (Pax Gold) spiked to $3,098, but then has stabilized around $2,450.

The US futures markets and the Asian markets will open on Sunday evening. The European markets open on Sunday night.

The US market open on Monday should be interesting.
  • edited April 14
    @yogibearbull
    Yes. We'll surely be taking a peek at futures after 8pm EST tonight and the Asia markets.
    FINVIZ offers a quick and dirty look for some items. As with viewing now (10am), and then peeking again this evening.
  • Future markets are down over 1%. The Middle East conflict is spreading …

BBC showed Iranian commando boarding a cargo ship near Strait of Hormuz.
    https://bbc.com/news/av/world-middle-east-68808419#

• edited April 14
    catch22 said:

@yogibearbull
    Yes. We'll surely be taking a peek at futures after 8pm EST tonight and the Asia markets.
    FINVIZ offers a quick and dirty look for some items. As with viewing now (10am), and then peeking again this evening
    .”

Right on @Catch22

The cross-currents on the investment front are profound. Guess Jamie Dimon has it about right when he sees rates somewhere between 2% and 8% at year-end. (Yogi’s earlier thread)

A few personal observations:

- Several “white-knuckle” foreign issues ongoing …

- Frayed domestic politics - seemingly heading for some sort of cataclysm in November …

- Some U.S. equity markets (especially tech) sizzling hot (up 30% + in a year) …

- Consumer staples & value stocks in a prolonged slump …

- Commodities and and gold surging …

- Inflation running hotter than the Fed or anyone else wants …

- A Fed Chair who appears very much disposed to lower rates while dissent among some of voting members appears to be surfacing …

- Longest running inverted yield curve in memory (or ever?) …

- 7+% mortgages on new homes while those with older 3% mortgages are reluctant to sell …

All this … and as Yogi Berra might say - “You can make 5% without even trying!
  • The way the markets act these days, I'm not surprised. Just another 'routine' ME tiff so to speak.

Of course, if there was continued escalation or expansion, it'd probably be selling off for sure.....
  • Hmm, I didn’t expect my oil companies in Europe to open down this morning. Maybe Iranian oil hasn’t been an important factor for a while.
  • I’m keeping my shorts on.
  • Ya gotta know there will be retaliation. Good start to the day, and then.... into the toilet. Everything. Stinky poopy. There will be heightened volatility. The "experts' warned us of that, already.