Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

etf div and cg reinvestment grayed out

At Merrill JQUA does not permit dividend and cg reinvestment. I called Merrill and they had no ideas about why, implying it was the ETF's doing. Anyone have any thoughts / info about this ?

Comments

• I know at VG you can't set up reinvestment (greyed out) until after the settlement date if it's been a recent buy and it's a new holding. There are some exceptions.... if everything in your account was already set to auto reinvest etc... Just one possibility.
  • At Vanguard, reinvestment isn't available for some ETFs. I suspect that it may have to do with liquidity as VG reinvestment program is VG (broker)-sponsored. VG accumulates all reinvestment orders and executes a market order soon after the payout date.

For fund-sponsored reinvestment program, the fund and firm would need to have some agreement/contract. This reinvestment may be quicker and there may also be some discount.

JQUA seems large and liquid that has been around for a while. Does ML/BoA offer reinvestment programs for other JPM ETFs?
  • No issues with having dividends reinvested at Fidelity which leads me to think that it is a brokerage decision. Have you tried calling ML to discuss?
  • Mark, rtop

YBB, I have not checked other JPM etfs, but that's a good idea. I am just so flabbergasted at this from ML that (as so often happens) I look (again) for costless ways to leave them and move more to Fido. (Costless meaning giving up benefits and so on.)
  • rtop? No idea what that means
  • @Mark- Maybe "refer to original post"? Just a guess...