Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open Thread (Buying/Selling Thoughts/Ideas)

edited December 2012 in Fund Discussions
In terms of stock, bought another round of Glencore (GLCNF) and in terms of funds bought more Ivy Asset (WASCX) and Allianz Water (AWTDX) Started to add a little bit of EWJ the other day.

Not feeling like a ton of values/opportunities at present time in terms of what I look at, but am looking to add to things if there is a considerable pullback.

Anyone else buying/selling/considering anything?

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Hi Scott. Thanks - have little to add beyond what I already put under Catch's "2013" thread.
  • Flying high, now, but MAPOX and MSCFX have done me well. Wait for a pullback. If you buy-in right now, you'd be "buying the dividend" coming up. MAPOX tonight (18th Dec. 2012) is at $71.78, and MSCFX is at $14.56.
  • edited December 2012
    Bumped up stake in BBTEX pretty substantially with proceeds from a sale, and took a tactical 5% position in an EAFE index fund (pushing that geography well over neutral), which I'll probably sell when the mo' fades. Also watching munis with an eye to bringing the allocation up to neutral whenever they manage to reverse the course of the past week ...
  • edited December 2012
    Hi Scott,

I am not doing much of anything presently except sitting back and watching my investments work as the market moves upward as it looks like the fiscal cliff saga continues towards a conclusion hopefully sooner rather than later.

My asset allocation bubbles at about 15% cash, 25% income, 50% equity and 10% other.
    Currently, I favor equities over fixed income. On forward earnings I have the S&P 500 Index selling on P/E Ratio of about 12.6 as of Friday’s market close. With this and according to Morningstar’s Market Valuation Graph I mark the Index at close to fair value. Not a time to be buying or selling … just holding.

So at this point … there is not much for me to do as I feel I am well positioned based upon my asset allocation which is set to my risk tolerance. With this equities rang form a low of 40% to a maximum of 60%. So, I am currently well positioned at the mid point and watching.

Sometimes, there is just not much to do.

Good Investing,

Skeeter

• For individual stocks in my IRA, I'm waiting on a key January FDA approval date before selling off most of my PATH holdings, and am looking to build up some more long 3D printing holdings in DDD, AMAVF, and SSYS, if things cool down a bit. Fund-wise, I'm sticking with my regular monthly % allocations in my 401k and looking to increase CFWYX to be 5% of my IRA.
  • Hi Scott are you buying and selling in a taxable account?
  • edited December 2012
    Hello,

For those that might be looking for a little trading “dancing” action …

Here is a basic meat (stock, SPY) and potatoes (bond, AGG) type trade.

I have linked the charting of SPY vs. AGG … notice that AGG has pulled back about one percent while stocks have been running since mid November and with this bonds have perhaps become oversold according to some technical indicators … and, with this, the Slow Stoch has now indicated a buy. The MFI also is now showing an upward trend which is bullish form my thoughts. However, the MACD has yet to complete so we are just at a level two buy (two green lights) and I like to see three green lights before moving.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=agg#symbol=agg;range=3m;compare=spy;indicator=dividend+split+macd(27,12,9)+mfi(21)+stochasticslow;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined;

I am NOT playing this as I feel there is less potential upside associated with AGG and like to venture into more special stock type plays over bond plays as they have offered a greater return for me. At this time I have SPY close to fair value but not overbought and perhaps more upward movement is possible as the fiscal cliff saga plays out and we move into 1Q2013. I still think we will get to S&P 1500 sometime between now and the end of 1Q so I am still with the stock play.

So for those trade junkies that have got to have a trade fix … you might wish to study this in a little more detail before jumping in as perhaps some small gain might be had.

It is for sure their price movement, in the short term, is going to be event & news driven.

Again … I am not putting this into action.

Good Investing,
    Skeeter

• Have some cash. Been doing a little tax-related selling. I expect my portfolio to get creamed a little today. Have one more position to sell and may do so today. Then if anything I own gets way oversold, I'll be in there buying. For the good of our financial futures, people need to stop electing children who don't play well together to Congress.
  • anyone with fidelity brokerage account in need of trading, embrace yourselves. the site has been backed up recently. today, i am yet to access it. a good lesson to do all year-end trading in november. happy holidays.
  • Added some MWEFX (no load) for growth, no bonds, more global exposure and some momentum.
    Also bought some VWINX in a new roth. Increasing fixed income slowly.
  • Reply to @tgeno: "people need to stop electing children who don't play well together to Congress. " .......Too true!
  • Today I started a token investment in RWGFX in my self-directed 401k account.

I've also sold all of my PRPFX. I'll probably going to redeploy some of this on my other funds on Monday.