Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

International small cap funds; is it worth the risk?

edited December 2012 in Fund Discussions
One piece that may be missing from my portfolio seems to be an international small cap fund, one that does invest in emerging markets to some extent. Years ago, had PRISX. but it is rather large. Came across QUOSX, HLMSX and a few others. I do hold ARTGX as my global stock fund, how important is it to have this piece of the pie? This would be for my Roth which will not be tapped for 10 years +

Comments

• Here are 3 good ones:

WTIFX
    PRIDX
    ARTJX
  • Dear Slick; In my opinion you don't this piece of the pie.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Thanks Ted and bumine. There are a few interesting ones I came across, but will stay pat for now and study it more before I make any move.
  • They do provide some diversification value but if you are a conservative investor (which I understand you are), it may be difficult for you to stomach the volatility in market declines. If you are holding a fund like GPIOX or GPGOX these funds also have a portion in small caps. So you might be OK with a multi-cap fund.
  • I would call my basic style moderately conservative, I like 5-10% of my portfolio to have some kick and be a bit aggressive. I do have emerging market stock funds and stocks, health care sector funds and etfs, and good core holdings in total market etfs, growth and dividend funds and dividend paying stocks in my 40% stock allocation, which I am kicking up to 50% this year. My taxable portfolio is my least aggressive, though with a slug of AA rated munis and dividend paying stocks. This portfolio will be used up before I dig into my less conservative IRA accounts, so time on my side for the more aggressive holdings.
  • Reply to @Investor: GPIOX / GPGOX are fully small-cap (and micro-cap) funds, so "a portion in small caps" is an understatement. Or maybe that was a typo and you meant "a portion in emerging markets," which is more accurate.
  • Reply to @claimui: You are right that a portion in small caps is inaccurate. I should have said a portion in mid-caps but mostly small cap fund.