Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Composite Charting Mutual Funds...Does such a tool exist?

beebee
edited February 2013 in Fund Discussions
My brokerage house can chart the performance of my fund holding performance over a period of time, but what I woud like to find is a charting tool that would allow me to combine any number of funds together...on a percentage basis and provide me with a single chart. A composite chart that historically represents performance of any combination of mutual funds based on fund selection, percentages held, and a particular time horizon.

Anyone come across such a compsite charting tool?

Comments

• sigfig has something like this for your portfolio, but I don't like it too much.

I will be watching this thread.
  • Isn't that just the "My Performance" tab on M*'s portfolio manager?

From M*:
    If you've set up a portfolio on Morningstar.com's Portfolio Manager, you can use the Performance view to see your results graphed alongside the S&P 500; the My Performance tab enables you to look at your results alongside several other stock and bond indexes.
  • Reply to @msf:
    Hi msf,

Thanks...I have used some of M* tools, but I haven't explore this feature. Does it allow the user the ability to adjust performance over different timeframes like a typical M* chart?
  • edited February 2013
    Go to stockcharts.com and click on the "free charts" tab. Then go down to "create a perf chart" (perf standing for performance). Type in which every mutual funds such as....

VBINX,VFISX,VIPSX,.....etc, etc, etc. and click "go".
  • Reply to @bee:
    I've barely played with it myself. It seems to show a graph for the duration of the portfolio (though I'm not sure even about that). It does seem to have a checkbox to force a graph of trailing twelve months, and in the numeric section allows you to select custom dates (so that you can get the portfolio's total return, numerically, over that custom period; it will also show each holding's total return over the selected period).

At least that's what I just saw with a quick two minute view.
  • I'll second the recommendation for PerfCharts on stockcharts.com.
  • edited February 2013
    Hi Bee. I always seem to want to examine some variable or time frame that packaged programs do not offer, so these days I end up just using Excel mostly.

That said, I believe the STEELE Mutual Fund Expert does what you are asking for, but it is not free...not terribly expensive, but not free.

I threw together an example Bee Portfolio (PONDX heavy) and took a few screen shots. You can quickly create and compare various portfolio scenarios. The program offers a ton of plot and comparison options. If nothing else, the Morningstar database that comes with the software is extensive. And, the company has been responsive to requests/corrections that I have offered; otherwise, I have no stake or association with it.

• Reply to @clacy: I used to use perf charts but had little confidence since reinvested dividends were not always done. However, haven't used them for a few years.

• I feel this is best choice known to me . regrettably I have in the link that MAY or may not pop up, my portfolio but I have eliminated dollar overall amounts so you can't see if philpill is croesus or a mendicant.
    click tsuris 1 and voila.
    PREMX is history after 90 days hold. for me this program, endendered thru (ugh) AOL is glory. you can show your portfolios and add start date.

they sleep...will not fully upgrade till 7 at night and this is annoying but still it is viable.
    philpill

DO NOT DARE, PLEASE , TO CRITIC MY DISPARATE FOLIO, if it comes up which as you can see lags s&p 500

http://www.dailyfinance.com/portfolios/

maybe tsuris one will not come up, maybe nothing will show but I TRIED.
    PHILPILL

We can't control the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails
  • Reply to @philpill: I added CLDAX, the date, number of shares and price. It says that I have lost $681, it doesn't seem to take dividends into consideration. Unless there is a way to give you the total return, it is quite useless for bonds.
  • This is how my portfolio performance looks like in SigFig. It is not all it could be, but pretty good compared with what I've seen around here.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Reply to @Charles:
    Wow Charles...really cool. This is seems like the kinda site I was looking for. I'll explore it further. Thanks for such a successful portfolio...especially during May and October of 2012 when the S&P 500 stumbled. Really great stuff.
  • Reply to @TNK:
    Thanks for sharing TNK...were you in cash up until September? Great results if that were the case. I have not used SigFig...Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Reply to @clacy:
    Thanks clacy, ron, tgeno...more homework for this investor (me) to do.
  • Yes, all cash, not that much cash though.
  • TNK is correct...my tracker makes no provision for autmatic dividend updates and this must be manually inputed under "edit".
    Decrease cost basis by amount of distribution and it is current. Still I like it becasue i am sickened by current poor performance vis a vis s and p 500 and it tells phlilpill if he thinks he is smart he is stupid. Could MJG be rioght after all?
    ]
    what is better for our tracking, I know not. my choices of funds were mainly dictated by cogent comments of all the wonderful posters on this glory site . I cite max b. for some of his fine risk averse choices like mapox and mapix.
    philpill
  • Charles, Thanks for all your spreadsheet/chart work that benefits MFO so greatly. Thank you also for the STEELE Systems tip. This is just what I’ve been seeking. I now have a personal level quarterly subscription to that service and will let FundReval lapse in March as so much of what is available there especially regarding Risk/Return is at STEELE for comparable pricing. STEELE may not have the future performance predictability factor FundReveal appears to possess but it has enough information for what I’m after, especially combined with Morningstar Premium and, of course, this phenomenal MFO web site community. Rick