Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited February 2013
    The GOLD CHARTS MUST SEE are the worst.

And the Vanguard clip is not much better.
  • Slide 20: Warren Buffet vs. Gold made me laugh.
    Slide 21 was good too.

I did not had the patience to read further.
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks John.

- First link is hour-long interview with Vanguard's CEO and their Chief Investment Officer fielding audience questions about investing. Lady doing the interview seems "novice." I'd agree the level of discourse is somewhat elementary - depending of course on one's level of knowledge.

Vanguard investors might find it worth viewing - more for a glimpse into management's thinking than for any new insights into the greatly overworked bond valuation issue.

*** Well, I looked at those gold charts and think they're kinda cool. Don't know what Charles is complaining about. For those inclined towards gold investing (not me), they provide a great many comparative looks at the precious yellow, including comparisons to some equity market sectors over the years and the return on investment on new investment in mines & infrastructure. Nothing to howl about if you dig gold!

Having said that, while the various comparisons may be valid, it's dangerous to try and extrapolate meaning from the history of an asset that's enjoyed a phenomenal bull run. That's gonna distort most comparisons. Maybe that's what some don't like. I've never been a big gold fan - even when it was soaring. Sure wouldn't advocate folks keeping more than a very small "shadow position" now.

Thanks John & regards, hank
  • edited February 2013
    Here's link to better, more complete and informative discussion by Vanguard leadership than transcript in original post:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/article/buckley-sauter-interview-01022013

On my GOLD CHARTS MUST SEE complaint, I guess I feel the presentation is manipulative, plays on people's fears, and uses art work more appropriate for Mad Magazine.

Here are couple counter examples, presented in similar manipulative fashion...

Just not my cup-of-coffee.

PS. The poorest SP500 performance over any twenty year period is plus 300%.