Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Any ideas for tax-advantaged high yield funds?

Anyone taking this route, or are people swearing off of fixed income (esp. Muni's) at this point?

I read in Barron's last week (I think it was) that there are some managers who report that the baby is getting thrown out with the bathwater with respect to Muni's.

Thanks.

Comments

• Vanguard High Yield tax exempt (VWAHX) is an option.

You can also look at foreign stock dividend funds for a little yield.

I'm still hanging on to my muni fund: I might add a little.
  • edited April 2011
    I had vwahx vanguard HY in the past, it was a great fund with very reasonable mgt fees/ good yields, but sold it in 2010.

I don't think the muni market will 'boil over', not like the real-estate markets in 2009. I think we may have around 50s-150s municipals 'belly up' over the next 12-36 months and this is a very small numbers in relations of how many municipalities out there, but this is MHO.

I bought more munis over the past few weeks, as long as you choose privatized good ratings A- or higher and shorter terms [i.e. 5-10 yrs] you'll be ok

but the best defense is to have a good/well balanced bond portfolio

just my 2 cents worth...jnn