Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Looking for a way to play BOJ QE...MAPIX vs MJFOX

beebee
edited May 2013 in Fund Discussions
Anyone looking to invest in the Japanese QE experiment? I own MAPIX (22% exposure to Japan) but thinking of taking some of this allocation and moving it into MJFOX. Since MAPIX is a much tamer way of playing the Japanese QE story I will use MAPIX as a charting tool to track over and under performance of MJFOX. MJFOX starting out performing in March 2013. Here's what the two look like YTD:

Comments

• old japanese proverb:
    he who sticks neck out gets it chopped off.
    plhilpill
  • beebee
    edited May 2013
    Reply to @philpill:

Thanks...Matthews is probably the one place I would turn for "neck insurance". MJFOX has performed quite well over the last 3 years compared to MAPIX:
  • edited May 2013
    I agree MJFOX is a good Japan fund, but if I were tempted to put $ into a pure-Japan stock play at this point in the rally, I'd regard it as a purely tactical move and therefore use an ETF. That way I could get out without any delay and without a redemption fee.
  • edited May 2013
    I would use DXJ - not a mutual fund for the reasons Andy stated above. I'm out of my Japan plays - I missed some upside but that's okay.
  • for more conservative types, SGOVX, who about 3 years ago was high on Japan because Jean Marie Evilliard was correct. First Eagle has always been one of the best funds and Evilliard, while retired is still on the board and alot of his own money invested.

Greater Asia 50.56

Japan 35.68
    Australasia 1.36
    Asia Developed 9.46
    Asia Emerging 4.06
  • beebee
    edited May 2013
    Interesting chart I came across today...NIKKEI225 hitting an important resistance point:

Article:
    hottest-market-on-the-planet-can-it-break-from-its-troubled-past
  • edited May 2013
    Just in case if you are crazy enough to invest in Japan after its recent run up: FJSCX beats DXJ and MJFOX for the last 3 years, 1 year, 3 months and 1 month.

Does this mean that FJSCX is a great fund to invest in, or it is the prettiest among the ugly ones? I gave it a little bit of the benefit of the doubt lately... but I am not sure that it is going to love me back.