Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Thoughts on OBIOX Fund?

edited May 2013 in Fund Discussions
What's everyone's thought on OBIOX Fund?

Comments

• If volatility is your game, then this is the fund for you! Down (60.5%) in 2008, gained it all back the next year. Whew!

This is one of those funds that I always pray I could find the guts to buy right after a major correction.
  • edited May 2013
    I bought this fund when it was new around 2007 and then I sold the last portion on March 9, 2009. Great timing huh? However, when I sold it, I did not move it to cash, invested in OAKEX and a few others that had longer term history. So, I made back the losses. Maybe it took a bit longer than if I had stayed in OBIOX.

It is a high risk/high reward type of fund and not easy to hold. I gave it another chance. I have currently less than 1% of my portfolio in this fund. I intend to build a larger position over time. I mean very very slowly.

At this time, I like the valuation metrics of this fund a lot. It is investing in cheaper companies. The P/E is low but really low compared to long term earnings growth. But it is a high turnover fund so things can change rather quickly.

If you are looking for something more conservative take a look at GPIOX which I also own. GPIOX managers used to manage WAIOX which is also another viable alternative.

Update: GPIOX has 1 yr. upside/downside ratio of 1.61 vs OBIOX has 1.62. However, OBIOX has both upside and downside amplified due to high beta exposure. In comparison, WAIOX ratio is 2.22 and has much less downside exposure than the other two.
  • Bump. Updated my reply above with some additional alternatives and upside/downside ratio comparison.
  • Reply to JoeNoEskimo: Hi Joe, I think that OBIOX made it all back in percentage terms in 2009 (up about 61%), but if it had been down only 50% in 2008, it would have required a gain of 100% to make it all back in 2009.
  • Reply to @Tony: Yep, agreed Tony, it really didn't make up ALL that lost ground in 2009 (for those who owned shares for all of 2008).
  • Reply to @Investor: Any thoughts on WTIFX? Thanks.
  • edited May 2013
    Reply to @bumine: I did not do much research on WTIFX. One thing I noticed about WTIFX is that it is holding an oversized Australia position and that is probably not helping much this year. It may be a good fund. I think I am biased towards GPIOX.
  • Reply to @bumine: WTIFX is also sector-concentrated in industrials, which could be a concern. But it's closed to new investors.

• WTIFX is one of my existing funds that I have been thinking of liquidating to add to WAFMX - it has been lagging this year, but I am now more inclined to keep it and ride it out. Thanks for the responses.
  • Hello! My name is John Collins, and I am a marketing representative for The Oberweis Funds*.

I am glad to see you are discussing The Oberweis International Opportunities Fund (OBIOX). Securities regulations prohibit me from participating in online discussions such as this one, but I would be delighted to speak to any of you personally if you contact me on my business phone or through my business email.

John P. Collins, CIMA®
    National Key Accounts Director, The Oberweis Funds, Inc.
    Direct: (630) 577-2364 | Email: [email protected]

*Securities Offered Through Oberweis Securities, Inc., Member FINRA/SIPC