Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Name the Fund - September 2013

edited September 2013 in Fund Discussions
I want to start this game, once every month. Below is performance chart for a fund. Poster child for WHEN vs WHAT you buy. Has gone nowhere for last several years. However if you look at since inception, it has hit the cover off the ball for TWO time periods both starting at inception.

Name the Fund.

Comments

• Here's the M* chart. You'll have to move the slider at the bottom of the chart all the way to the left to get the identical graph.

Too easy. There are only four mid cap growth funds with 15 year performance in excess of 14%/year (which one can read off the graph you provided).
  • Reply to @msf & VintageFreak: Nice game! Name the fund that had these stocks in it's portfolio at inception
    Regards,
    Ted
    Chemical & Dye Corp Materials Remains
    American Can Company Materials Gone
    American Radiator & Standard Sanitary Consumer Discretionary Gone
    American Telephone and Telegraph Telecom Remains
    Columbia Gas & Electric Corp Utilities Remains
    Consolidated Gas Company of New York Utilities Remains
    E.I. DuPont de Nemours & Company Materials Remains
    Eastman Kodak Company Cons Discretionary Remains
    F.W. Woolworth Company Cons Discretionary Merged
    General Electric Industrials Remains
    International Harvester Industrials Gone
    National Biscuit Consumer Staples Gone
    Otis Elevator Industrials Gone
    Pacific Gas & Electric Company Utilities Gone
    Sears, Roebuck & Company Consumer Discretionary Remains
    Socony-Vacuum Oil Company Energy Remains
    Standard Oil Company (New Jersey) Energy Remains
    Standard Oil Company of California Energy Remains
    The American Tobacco Company Consumer Staples Remains
    The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Industrials Remains
    The Borden Company Consumer Staples Gone
    The New York Central Railroad Company Industrials Gone
    The North American Company Utilities/Industrials Remains
    The Pennsylvania Railroad Company Industrials Gone
    The Procter & Gamble Company Consumer Staples Remains
    The United Gas Improvement Company Utilities Gone
    Union Carbide and Carbon Corp. Materials Remains
    Union Pacific Railroad Company Industrials Remains
    United States Steel Materials Remains
    Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Industrials Remains

The original emphasis on blue-chip companies still holds today. Nearly 90% of the fund's assets are invested in companies with an economic moat
  • Reply to @Ted:

Hi Ted,

My best guess.

I believe this to be Corporate Leaders Trust and was organized in 1935 with an equal number of common stock shares in the 30 leading US companies at the time. Since it is organized as a unit investment trust it is passively managed and with this it can't purchase new stocks, so it holdings have changed due to spin-offs or mergers since inception. It is currently invested in only 22 companies and carries the ticker symbol of LEXCX.

Skeeter
  • Reply to @msf: Good one! I was going to guess Wells Fargo Advantage Enterprise (the old Strong Enterprise fund), which has a similar shaped graph.
  • I'm going to try my darndest to make it more difficult for folks like msf. Forgot how smart people are on MFO. I will hide more information next time:)
  • Reply to @Ted: I think this fund was talked about on MFO. I think it may not have a real manager any more:) I forget the name. Maybe LEXCX?