Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Transaction fees when buying mutual funds

edited September 2013 in Fund Discussions
What's everyone's thoughts on mutual funds that have transaction fees tied to them when buying? I hate paying the $49-$59 to buy additional shares with Ameritrade or Schwab. Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments

• Dear Carefree: For your information.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.kiplinger.com/printstory.php?pid=6990
  • IMHO, we have so many brokerages with NTF funds, there aren't many funds you have to pay commission. And for those you need to buy absolutely be it FAIRX or COBYX or whatever, you can buy directly with company.

I cannot make an argument for ANY fund that justifies paying commission.
  • Like just about everything in life, it pays to do the math. The share classes that have a TF have cheaper E.R.s. It depends on how much you're going to invest, and what's the minimum holding period you're anticipating.
  • The other issue with TF is that you cannot economically ease into a fund... if each transaction costs $75 (per Fidelity) then you're better off buying a larger number of shares each time... Yes, some of them have "automatic investing" which eliminates the fee, but I've never wanted to use that feature.
  • edited September 2013
    Reply to @VirtueRunsDeep: Why not? It saves you money, gets you a cheaper E.R., and allows you to scale into a position.
  • Paying load = Against my religion
    Paying TR = Driving drunk

that's my story and I'm sticking to it:D