Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• I think the most compelling thing I've ever read about a fund is that David Herro has $3 Million in it and that its not David Herro's fund. Everybody eats their own cooking, but I think I'm smart too.
  • edited September 2013
    Hmm...I've been holding off on buying SEEDX. It perfectly meets my criteria for moving my portfolio to all go anywhere funds. For some reason, my gut has told me to hold off on this fund. However, I will seriously re-examine my decision.

I think exiting CGMFX whose manager is 70+ and going with younger managers might be most prudent. Speaking of which Akre is not getting any younger. Unfortunately, we have to worry about such things.

One stupid question. If HERRO has $3M in SEEDX, how much does he have in his own funds. I mean SAIs don't disclose exact amount, just "over $1M". What I really want to know is if HERRO is investing his own money in a more nimble fund while not in his own bloated funds.

Sorry, don't want to piss anyone off. I'm just a cynical quickly-getting-old bast***
  • I just looked at portfolio stats at M*

Hard to believe P/E is 3.91 yet in style box is putting it growth leaning...
  • David Herro's investment is noteworthy. But remember, Herro manages the "international" funds at Oakmark, whereas, Oakseed fund consists of mostly US equities (and the foreign stocks are ADRs). Still, Oakseed is worth watching.
  • Reply to @Investor: It also says ER is 0% last time I looked.
  • Reply to @OregonDan: Well, then Herro is saying he doesn't have faith in domestic managers @ Oakmark. He runs OAKWX with Nygren for god's sake. Why not invest $6M there?
  • Reply to @VintageFreak. I expect Herro has quite a bit invested in several Oakmark funds. He no doubt found he liked in Jackson & Park and wanted to help them get their project off the ground. Oakseed's June report shows that the fund started with net assets of $3 million -- the seed money came from the Oak.
  • Reply to @OregonDan: I think the Oak's ancestor made mistake when typing name on Birth Certificate. Should have been HERO.

Oak + Seed. Seriously.
  • Reply to @VintageFreak: On the Expense page it says more on expenses. Apparently, the Investor shares are capped at 1.40%
  • Reply to @OregonDan: I agree it is more friendship favor. If it was not within that framework, I think it would be inappropriate for a fund manager to list the names of the people investing in the fund. It is an attempt to use David's name to gather assets.