Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PC problem

edited October 2013 in Off-Topic
Bought a new pc a few months back & at times it seems to have a mind of it's own !!
Thought the new touch screen would work out & be a plus. It appears that isn't the case.
This is the 2/nd time it's headed back to Staples to get straighten out.
Was wondering if anyone else was having a problem with touch screen technique, or possible a lemon pc here.
Thanks for any replies.
Derf

Comments

• if this is a windows 8 machine I strongly recommend returning it and getting windows 7
    I had same difficulty
  • Dear Derf: I agree with philpill, stay away from Windows 8 & use 7.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @Ted:

Where can you find a a PC with a Windows 7 operating system?

Mona
  • Microcenter...lots of new machines with windows 7. try location indicator:

http://www.microcenter.com/
  • Look like everything experienced the same issue with Win 8. You can still find Win 7 computers in many on-line stores such as Amazon.

If you get tire of PC, consider to switch to iMac and all your frustration would go away... We have both platforms in our house for some time.
  • I installed Start8 which gives Windows 8 computers many of the operating characteristics of Windows 7. I know many people are opposed to using this and similar downloads, but it has worked great for me.
  • Microsoft told that they will bring back the Start button for Classical Desktop with Windows 8.1. It will be a free upgrade for Windows 8.0 users.
  • I guess I'm just a curmudgeon. I would much rather browse with my wireless mouse than to scan with a touch screen pc...perhaps because I don't have experience with doing this.

I am also shopping for a new PC...and I tend to buy a high-performance rig in order to not have to buy for 6-8 years or so.

8.0 or 8.1 doesn't hold a great deal of attraction for me.
  • edited October 2013
    We have been transitioning to Apple after half dozen MS-based machines. All either fell apart or got infected with viruses. Good riddance! We have 2 IPads (1st & 3rd gen) & bought a 3-4 year old MacBook in top condition from a reputable reseller at Amazon. Couldn't be happier.

(Still use an old MS net-book for ripping CDs however. We transfer to a thumb drive which plugs into our car's Ford sync. That's a MS based system and wouldn't work with music ripped using the Mac)
  • Reply to @hank:

I use a 15" MacBook Pro (Retina Display) at work. Well made. Aluminum body is sturdy but heavy. But it is a very powerful workhourse with 16GB ram, SSD. i7 processor. No upgrade is possible though since everything is soldered down. You need to order high end and it costs a lot of money.

For those that has less demanding tasks, a Mac Book Pro 13" or even MacBook Air 13" should be OK and significantly cheaper. I think 11" version of Mac Book AIr might be too small.

Having said that actually Windows 8 is not bad on a touchscreen device. Using it keyboard and mouse is a bit of learning curve as you have to rely on a lot of "Win" key combinations. So, to fully enjoy Windows 8 I highly recommend a touch screen PC.