Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Update on AQR Fund Commentaries

edited October 2013 in Fund Discussions
As you may remember, I (and a couple other readers) have posted some frustration with the lack of timely commentary for AQR's Risk Parity Fund AQRIX. Here is link to that thread: AQRIX RISK PARITY.

To this day, AQR's website still reflects only the 1Q2013 quarterly, before the April/May swoon by all holders of EM bonds and commodities, especially those employing leverage, like AQRIX.

So, I wrote them a note complaining about it and today received a prompt and professional response from Marco Hanig, President, AQR Funds. "You are right on all counts."

He absolutely agreed that:

1) During periods of under-performance, it is critical to keep shareholders informed, so of all the times to not post a commentary, 6/30 was a particularly unfortunate time.

2) Obsolete or outdated links should be removed routinely.

He went on to explain that AQR funds are sold only through financial advisors. Its advisors are kept informed through a quarterly review book and conference calls, which are open exclusively to investment professionals. AQR began thinking this communication was enough and was considering discontinuing the written commentaries.

But then he wrote: "What your message made me realize is that the only way the ultimate shareholder can get an update is via the written commentary. That is a compelling reason to continue to write the quarterly commentary."

What I remain interested in is:

1) How did AQRIX PMs adjust strategy to volatility in EM bond and commodity markets, beginning in April/May?

2) What drawdown controls were exercised, if any.

3) Has the model been improved based on its recent bout with what I expect was out-of-sample behavior?

4) Will it be able to thrive in an environment of raising rates going forward?

Hopefully, we will get some insight soon.

Will try to keep you posted on any progress.

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Good response and thanks for emailing them. The Style Premia fund from AQR was supposed to come out on the 15th, but it seems to have been delayed.
  • edited October 2013
    Reply to @scott: Style Premia now coming out before end of October.

AQR Long-Short (QLENX) top in category in the last mo (+5.37%). New fund, but getting going after a slow start.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=QLENX+Interactive#symbol=qlenx;range=1m;compare=^gspc;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;

• "He went on to explain that AQR funds are sold only through financial advisors."

Of course that is absolutely incorrect. I've never owned one of their funds, but test trades through Fidelity go through without a hitch on QLENX, with a TF and no advisor input whatsoever.

How can they be so clueless about who their investors are?
  • edited October 2013
    Reply to @AndyJ: AQR was initially - and rather briefly - geared towards retail. The initial minimum was $5,000, but then the company changed gears and focused on advisors instead, raising the minimum to $1M.

My guess is that the intent is that the company "intends" to sell and focus their product towards financial advisors. However, at the brokerage level things may be handled differently and if the funds are "open" and not $1M minimum they're going to attract who they're going to attract? The minimums appear to vary from brokerage to brokerage.

If the company truly believes that funds are ONLY sold via financial advisors, well, then they aren't aware.

I'd guess the majority of AUM is advisors.

• Reply to @scott: Maybe the board et al. think their funds are sold advisor-only, but marketing is cutting deals with brokerages that bypass advisors? The old right-hand, left-hand thing at work? If the Prez really used the word "only," then there's apparently at least a tad of ignorance in the board room about a very basic element of running an investing service, and to me that doesn't speak well at all of the company.
  • edited November 2013
    AQR Funds has finally provided an updated commentary for AQRIX. Unfortunately, it's for 3Q, no mention of the 2Q swoon, which would help investors better understand the fund's strategy during "out of sample" environments.

For the 3Q, AQRIX returned 3.03% versus 3.38% for the 60/40 balanced.

They do write:
    While the fund underperformed its 60%/40% U.S. equity/bond benchmark, we expect this under- performance when U.S. equities outpace other global risk assets. The fund still delivered strong returns with contributions from all four major risk premia, which we believe continues to show the virtue of broad diversification and risk management. We appreciate your investment and look forward to your questions.
    Year to date, the fund is -2.44% versus 10.74% for balanced.

See post below for link to AQR website with 3Q commentary.
  • edited October 2013
    I'm calling bulls*** on AQRNX commentary. Q2 never happened. Drawdown came into play. No explanation of why fund tanked in Q2, while we know now it was because it held bonds of undesirable duration. And now they expect fund to behave that way when US equities outpace other global risk assets? WTF didn't they say that in the prospectus? And what happened to "risk parity"? Parrots could have done better.

I'm completely exiting AQRNX position. I sold ARCNX already. Now M* will be writing my obituary in hindsight since funds are bound to go up as soon as I sell. Only I know I have to make decision NOW based on facts in evidence, while M* gets paid voicing opinions in hindsight.

I have right to chose my kind of joker. I chose Husstlerman over Assness and Co.
  • edited October 2013
    Reply to @VintageFreak: Ha! I know. It's sure frustrating. Hoping something about 2Q is forthcoming; otherwise, AQR only reports when the fund does well? Can't imagine investors standing for that. Gotta tell ya', like you, I'm disappointed. But Hussman? Hmm...
  • Reply to @VintageFreak: Once I can no longer understand AQRIX strategy, I sold my entire position in Q1 2013. You are right that the mid-year drawdown was not pretty. So much for the "risk parity" strategy.
  • Reply to @Sven: The Risk Parity strategy is not unique to AQR. Someone posted video about "Economic Machine". That guy practices same thing. Basically it is supposed to be the holy grail.
  • I emailed them three times about the lack of a Q2 commentary on AQRNX, and receiving no response sold.
  • Reply to @VintageFreak: The holy grail is to fund these manager's yachts and mansions. Like the Who sang, "Won't get fool again".
  • I sold out of AQRIX a few months ago, and I will never again buy any product they sell!!!! they are great marketers but mediocre money managers!!!!!!
  • Here is link to AQR website with 3Q commentary, finally available:

https://www.aqrfunds.com/OurFunds/GlobalAllocationFunds/RiskParityFund/Overview.aspx

Disappointingly, the firm never did publish a 2Q commentary, when the fund terribly under-performed.