Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

questions for Messrs. Jackson and Park?

We chat Monday with Greg Jackson (ex-Oakmark Global) and John Park (ex-Acorn Select) about Oakseed Opportunity. The guys seem enthused and Greg listened-in on last month's call with Zac Wydra as a warm-up. I expect they'll talk about their decision to leave the world o' private venture capital funds for the relative calm and sanity of a global equity fund. If not, I'll likely ask them about it. Too, I'm likely to ask about their decision to lower their institutional minimum by 99%, what they make of the number of other mutual fund managers who've made large and visible investments in Oakseed (the fund's already at $80M AUM) and about the internal dynamic / division of responsibility.

Their latest factsheet is posted at their (attractively revamped) website. If you're not able to make the call but would like to have me raise questions on your behalf, I'd be delighted to do so. Just let me know what you're thinking.

And, too, it's easy to register for the call! (Monday, 11/18, 7:00 Eastern)

As ever,

David

Comments

• BWG
    edited November 2013
    Two questions that focus on the distribution of SEEDX/SEDEX:

1) Why has TD Ameritrade refused to lower the minimum for SEDEX to the revised level?

2) Does Oakseed plan to make the fund available through Fidelity's fund network?

• Their "Fact" sheet shows their date of inception as 12/2013.Wassup? Are they looking into the future?
  • Reply to @Alex: Actually I'm seeing 12/31/2012.
  • Reply to @BWG: Got it!
  • Two questions:
    -Do they see the mutual fund as their only investment vehicle? (Do they see opening more funds)
    -Would they use this fund to invest in non-traditional assets, e.g. venture capital that the average investor(me) would not be otherwise able to get into given their background and expertise?

As always thanks David.
  • Reply to @chrisblade: Hi, Chris. They've always been pretty adamant about the former, but I'd be happy to pursue the latter - especially given their VC experience.

David
  • edited November 2013
    Two questions as well: 1.) Could either Mr. Park or Jackson provide some detail regarding the other members of the investment advisor team- number of analysts, researchers, traders, etc. 2.) Did not read that shorting stocks is an investment strategy in the prospectus, but shorting stocks is mentioned in the SAI. Is this because shorting stocks is not considered a principal investment strategy of the fund but could be a minor investment strategy. What is the maximum % of holdings that could be sold short? Thank you David.
  • I find it rather odd dropping names of other fund managers invested in the fund. They are trying to promote the fund by using their associations and I feel that is not right.

It feels like they are in desperate need to raise funds in a short time. A lot of funds have institutional investors or someone famous but they are not dropping names like this. I find this as most unusual... Maybe they all should disclose large investors but this is not the norm...

Can you ask them about this and the motivation? Why can't they wait for fund to prove itself instead of going through this promotional route?
  • edited November 2013
    Will the er be tied to aum? Is there a break point?

This strategy seems to me like a bet on the find manager. What am i missing?

How often will holdings be disclosed? How transparent is fund?
  • To what extent will the fund's scope/strategy mirror that of ACTWX (when John Park managed it)?