Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• The only thing I saw there that was "bullish" was the title.
  • Some great zingers in there. Here's the page with the full quarterly letter (free, no-hassle registration required), which includes Ben Inker describing how the GMOers have changed their methodology for their 7-year outlook. They've broadened the set of data they use to calculate valuation. As a result, the outlook for U.S. stocks is a bit worse, but the real killer is the outlook for EM equities: it's been essentially cut in half.
  • From the linked article: "My personal guess is that the U.S. market, especially the non-blue chips, will work its way higher, perhaps by 20% to 30% in the next year or, more likely, two years, with the rest of the world including emerging market equities covering even more ground in at least a partial catch-up."

Just prior to this passage, he hedges his optimism: "We have also had a sharp and unexpected uptick in parts of the IPO market in the U.S., so I would think that we are probably in the slow build-up to something interesting – a badly overpriced market and bubble conditions."

As I see it, whether we head higher or lower, Grantham predicted it.

Kevin
  • GMO just issued a very pessimistic outlook for the next 7 years. US market is to fall (in average, after inflation) -1.3% yearly, small caps - 4.2%, quality US would grow 2.7% per year, International would grow 1.4%, emerging markets, which they previously expected to grow 6% per year now are expected to grow 3.2% per year.

I guess they expect the market to go higher in short term, and then move down fast.
  • Hogwash I say. Let's remember this seven years from now.