Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Thanks Ted for posting.

Indeed a good read. One area that I am looking at is low P/E funds also know as deep value funds. I put FDSAX in this group as it invest one third of its equities in the Dogs of the Dow Theory and the other two thirds in a similar strategy but coming for the Russell 1000 Index base of stocks.

I have linked its Morningstar report for those that might wish to take a closer look.

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/fdsax/f?t=fdsax

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and "Good Investing!"

Old_Skeet
  • FDSAX started doing well only after 2009, and few months ago all of its managers were replaced. So I would say that all bets are off, unless you have some additional information.
  • edited December 2013
    Hi andrei,

Although its lead manager left it appears to be a teamed managed rules based and set strategy fund. And, it's strategies remain in tact much like an index fund would even if it's manager left. I have linked more details from Morningstar on FDSAX's managment team along with the fund's fact sheet.

http://financials.morningstar.com/fund/management.html?t=FDSAX&region=usa&culture=en-US

https://www.safunds.com/pdf/Fund-Fact-Sheets/asset_upload_file787_6326.pdf

Believing it's rules based strategies for asset selection remain in vouge in out of favor high quality dividend paying stocks, my money remains. It is one of six funds that I hold in my domestic growth & income equity sleeve of my portfolio. And, if it should falter there are five other funds within it's sleeve to provide support and production for the sleeve. Thus far, and through the years, it has been one of the sleeve's better performers.

Old_Skeet
  • Reply to @Old_Skeet: One of the reasons I hold a position in American International Group (AIG) is SunAmerica ,VALIC, American General Life, and Western National, all part of AIG.
    Merry Christmas,
    Ted
  • edited December 2013
    Reply to @Old_Skeet: Dear Old_Skeet,

You probably know this new investment team well, but did you check their results at another fund by SunAmerica, SIEAX, where the same team started their work more than a year ago? It is a different strategy, International Dividend Strategy, so maybe it does not mean much that during just a little bit more than 1 year they underperformed general foreign large values funds by 20%. This is a very significant underperformance for such a short time interval. Maybe there are some reasons for that and it was not their personal fault. Indeed they have 34% in emerging markets there, plus 13% in Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea, which is very unusual for a fund with such an unassuming name. Was it their strategy, or was it the general SunAmerica strategy for the International Dividend fund? I am just providing you with some information, I do hope that it does not have negative implications for their other fund, FDSZX, I presented it here because I was surprised by it.

Andrei