Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is The 'Permanent Portfolio' Permanently Broken ?

Comments

• Broken is the wrong word. It is what it is. But the point the article makes is that PRPFX and other vehicles following this formula will not be able to repeat the fine results of the last 10 years. 25% of the portfolio is stuck in the mud - treasury bonds - possibly for many years to come. I sold out of PRPFX over a year ago and it's a move I'm very happy I made.
    The biggest obstacle for the future of the permanent portfolio in its purest form would be an end to the 31-year bull market in bonds as proclaimed by Barron's over the weekend. People have been able to borrow money essentially for free, but that can't last forever. If Barron's is right and the bull market ended last May, then the permanent portfolio would appear to have 25% allocated to something that can't go up.
  • Reply to @MikeM: Treasury Bonds & Gold made a poor tasting cocktail in 2013.
    Merry Christmas,
    Ted
  • Merry Christmas Ted. Hopefully your Bears can win their way into the playoffs next weekend! As for the Bills, looking forward to next year... again.
  • Reply to @MikeM: If you want Jay Culter, you can have him. If Rodgers plays for Green Bay, the Packers win. I'm actually an old Chicago Cardinals fan.
    Merry Christmas,
    Ted
  • Reply to @Ted: What do you all know about "permanently broken?" I'm a DC native and Skins (Caps, Nats...) fan!
  • Reply to @MikeM:

Now you get to enjoy the Buffalo Sabers.

Worst win/loss record in the NHL?

Mona
  • edited December 2013
    I don't think anybody here should buy it.:-)

Merry Christmas Ted.

• Broken the last two years? For sure.

Permanently? No way to know that until you see it through at least a full market cycle.

This year is going to distort a lot of perspectives.
  • Many articles and opinions during 2008-09 that Buy and Hold as a strategy was dead. I am still invested in the fund although during strong upward trends I wish not as much. But that's not why i'm devoting a part of my portfolio to it.
  • Reply to @Mona: Thanks Mona for reminding me:) Well, I still have Syracuse University basketball to cheer for.... Go 'Cuse!!!