Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ARLSX conference call has been moved to Wednesday, January 15th

Here's an update that I just mailed to the 60 or so registrants for the call: the good folks at Aston Asset Management, adviser to the fund, discovered yesterday that a January 14th call would run afoul FINRA regulations. There's an embargo on the release of certain sorts of portfolio information for the 15 days following the end of a calendar quarter. A call on the 14th could occur only if Matt and Dan said nothing about portfolio positioning after 9/30 but a call after the close of the markets on the 15th was in the clear. At the risk of losing some of the folks already committed to a Tuesday call, we shifted it to Wednesday.

All of the original registration information remains valid: the link (below) still works, the registration and assigned PINs remain the same. It's just 24 hours later.

For what interest that holds,

David

--------------------

Just a reminder of next week's conference call with the managers of ASTON River Road Long Short. The copy below is a lightly-edited version of what I mailed out to the folks on our masterlist this afternoon.

I’d like to invite you to join a conversation with Matt Moran, manager of ASTON River Road Long Short Fund (ARLSX). Last winter we spent time talking with the managers of really promising hedged funds, including a couple who joined us on conference calls. ARLSX best matched my own predilections and I subsequently invested a bit in the fund. That does not say that we believe this is “the best” long/short fund (an entirely pointless designation), just that it’s the fund that best matched my own concerns and interests. The fund returned 18% in 2013, placing it in the top third of all long/short funds.

I was struck primarily by the extensiveness and thoughtfulness of Matt’s risk management system, though the promise that the fund might outperform the stock market by 200 bps/year over a full, 3-5 year market cycle was attractive as well.

Matt and co-manager Dan Johnson have agreed to join us for a second conversation. Matt has been kicking around ideas for what he’d like to talk about. His short-list includes:

• How we think about our performance in 2013 and, in particular, why we’re satisfied with it given our three mandates (equity-like returns, reduced volatility, capital preservation)

• Where we are finding value on the long side. (It’s a struggle.)

• How we’re surviving on the short side. (It’s a huge challenge.) Really, how many marginal businesses can keep hanging on because of the Fed’s historic generosity? Stocks must ultimately earn what underlying business earns and a slug of these firms are earning …

• But, too, we have a strong desire not to be carried out in body bags on short side.
Our conference call with Matt and Dan will beWednesday, January 15, from 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. EST. Just click REGISTER and you'll take been to the Chorus Call website where you'll register and receive a toll-free number and a PIN. As before, we'll try to divide the call in thirds: in the first third, they will talk us through the fund's genesis, universe and strategy. In the middle third, I'll ask a handful of questions - some suggested by folks on the Observer's discussion board. For the final third, we'll open the lines to your questions. As always it's a simple dial-in; there's no web component to it.

If you can't make it but have questions for the guys, please share them and I'll raise as many as I can in the time available (when possible I cheat on the side of giving more time to listeners' questions than my own, but I do usually work in three or four).

As ever,

David

Comments

• Thanks David for the reminder. I have never attended any mutual fund conference calls. I have registered and will join the call.

regards
    nath
  • Reply to @bnath001: That's great! Do let me know what you think, afterwards. I try to keep things relaxed but focused.

David
  • There is an interesting info in their prospectus: The fee for ARLSX is 5.08%, which become 3.16% after fee waiver, with fine print: For a period of up to three years from the fiscal year end during which such amount was waived or reimbursed (1.92%), the adviser is entitled to be reimbursed by the Fund for fees waived...

Expenses 1.70% reported by Morningstar do not include Dividend and Interest Expense on Short Sales 1.41%, and do not mention the fee waiver of 1.92% and its subsequent reimbursement.
  • Sooooooooooooooo what is the final expense ratio.....I pride myself in my mathematical abilities, but I don't think these guys use math as we know it.
  • edited January 2014
    This is one of the questions to ask during the call. I guess the expense rate is 3.16% for now, but if you keep your money there long enough, you may need to return, in addition, at least some part of 1.92% which is their temporary loan for the shareholders. Just a guess.