Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• beebee
    edited February 2014
    My understanding is that Biotech has had a hot/cold dynamic as an investment over the past 30 years. IPO have had a lot to do with their investment success. Technology and innovation has made this all possible. Here's a chart of the biotech IPOs over the last 30 years. Many of these spikes equates to investment outperformance.

reference:

insights-from-30-years-of-biotech-ipos

Natural gas over the last 30 years has followed a very different performance path, but technology and innovation again has lead this sector to new discoveries and efficiencies. Long term plentiful and inexpensive natural gas will boost manufacturing, fertlizer production, lower electrical generation costs, reduce carbon emission / btu as well as provide input components for a whole spectrum of chemical products.

Pairing these two sectors plays (using UNG or FBIOX) with Utility funds (GASFX, BULIX), chemical / Industrial manufacturing funds (VIS, FSCHX), Health Care funds (PRMSX, VGHCX, or others) seems like a good way to also incorporate these outperforming sectors.
  • TedTed
    edited February 2014
    Reply to @bee: Nice graphics ! As you know I'm very bullish on biotech and healthcare funds in general. Regarding natural gas as I stated earlier the spike in natural gas has much to do with one of the worst winter's in U.S. history. If you get in at the beginning of 2014 you could have made some nice money short-term, however; the U.S. is swimming in natural gas and I don't consider it a good long-term play.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @Ted: You appear to be right on-target with health care sector (IMHO). What is your current view regarding the chemicals sector? Thanks for your input and for all the time and effort you expend in bringing us timely information to read and consider on MFO.
    MS
  • Reply to @MPSSRH: Thanks for the kind words ! At the present time I rank the following sectors.
    Regards,
    Ted

1. Healthcare
    2. Technology
    3. Industrials
    4. Utilities (For income)
    5. Materials (Not at the present time)
  • Reply to @Ted: Thank you. You have helped me.
    Best,
    MS