Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Microsoft ends support for Windows XP

beebee
edited March 2014 in Off-Topic
April will end Microsoft's support of XP (1/3 of all PCs still run on XP).

windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

Antimalware support news:
"To help organizations complete their migrations, Microsoft will continue to provide updates to our antimalware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015."

blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2014/01/15/microsoft-antimalware-support-for-windows-xp.aspx

Anyone upgrading your old PC to a new operating system or are you going out and buying a brand new system?

Edit1:
To see if your PC has the minimum requirements for upgrading run "Upgrade Assistant" linked in the above article.

Comments

• edited March 2014
    I've ended support for MSFT. Not a fan of Windows 8 although it's okay for the cheaper price I paid. (I upgraded from 7 when 8 came out and it was initially cheaper. I've pondered downgrading back to 7 on a number of occasions but never went through the effort.)
  • Many ATM's still run on XP, although upgrades continue.

We moved to Windows 7 with a new laptop a few years ago.
    Some functions of XP don't mix well with current online sites and one is limited to IE rev's.; if choosing to run IE
  • I don't think it is worth upgrading my 5 year old laptop (running XP), so I'm buying a new one (with 7).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Don't like Windows 8. I have heard some who have used Ubuntu. My computer literary is middle of the road. Has anyone here transitioned over (completely or
    partially through multiple options for booting) to Ubuntu and add his/her thoughts?
  • We use Window 7 both at home and work. Also we use Mac, especially our kids! Over time, we will migrate completely to Mac.

XP was decent OS, but it is badly dated and vulnerable to hacking. Really tried with anti-virus update and all.
  • edited March 2014
    @kaspa

Ubuntu is simple to load. If you don't need dual booting. I would just re-partition the whole hard disk to ubuntu. Simple to install, and update and the desktop is as easy to use as any windows system.

Millions of apps. editors, mail user agents - thunderbird, pdf readers, libreoffice (spreadsheets, word processing docs, music players.). The only downside is, if an applications needs windows to run. Last i know some of fidelity's trading tools required windows.

You can also download ubuntu iso and build yourself a bootable cd or dvd to play without affecting your hard disk. Other options available were building a bootable jump drive.

I've never had ubuntu crash. Great OS.

Find out what computer chip you have whether it is 64 bit based or 32 bit based and download the appropriate version.

You could get up and running in a few hours.

You probably want load ubuntu 12.04 LTS

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

• edited March 2014
    Thanks, Accipiter.
  • I'm not a computer aficionado, but I use ubuntu on an old Dell lap top my daughter gave me. It is great for accessing the internet. Seems there aren't a lot of bugs and viruses trying to infect your computer like one running on microsoft. But, if you are use to using Excel or Word, the LibreOffice applications are crap in comparison.
  • MikeM said:

I'm not a computer aficionado, but I use ubuntu on an old Dell lap top my daughter gave me.

MikeM,

Are you familiar with this?

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-best-buy-100-credit-windows-xp-20140403,0,6740686.story#axzz2z5VRmxIV

If you can can get XP back on it, an Acer 720 Chromebook is $199 at Best Buy, so if it meets your needs, you can walk out with one for $99 + tax.

Mona

• The last official act of a 9 year old Compaq running XP which I use for non-business activities was for doing taxes this past weekend. I will mothball it, as I bought a beefed up Dell a few weeks ago. So I'm good for another decade.
  • Thanks Mona...good to know!