Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Conservative Retirement Portfolio In 3 Buckets

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Given the options she's presented, I would put it all in VWINX.
  • Yeah, love it too, but she said conservative allocation...and, isn't VWELX closed?
  • Charles said:

Yeah, love it too, but she said conservative allocation...and, isn't VWELX closed?

Open through Vanguard IIRC
  • A viable option for those stopped out of VWINX might be HBLIX, which is sub-advised by Wellington and in fact, has the same senior managers as VWINX, but is much smaller. Do some chart work and you will see what I mean. I own it and feel it is a terrific core holding in the conservative allocation space, especially if you are concerned about a rising interest rate environment. HBLIX is a 50-50 balanced fund, sitting nicely between VWINX and VWELX .
  • edited March 2014
    You're right, good numbers:

Not crazy about the eight different share classes, including loaded Class A (although I see it waived at Schwab) with 0.99% ER.

I do see some of same names from Wellington on management team.

I think VWINX is still open. It's VWELX that is limited.

Thanks man, good to know.
  • Sorry... Forgot to mention that it was load waved at Fidelity as well. I never pay loads so it didn't even enter my mind. Fidelity shows an ER of. 74%
  • Sorry, it's not clear that she fully understands the concept of "buckets". Very disappointing articles...aggressive, moderate or conservative. This simply reinforces my thought that Morningstar is good at delivering data, but not so strong in delivering opinion. Josh Peters is the exception.
  • @PRESSmUP: You make a very valid point, M* is good on data, and somewhat weak on commentary.
    Regards,
    Ted