Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Thoughts on Otter Creek Long/Short (OTCRX)

It's a new fund, but the predecessor LP was successful despite a few lagging years. Looking for something to compliment a heavy equity portfolio, in addition to William Blair Macro Allocation (WMCNX).

Comments

• Have you considered WBMAX?
  • Yea, I thought about that or WBLSX...I do like Redleaf, he's a very bright guy. can't decide which one...also looking at NLSAX (load waived at Schwab)
  • While I understand the purpose and appeal of these types of funds my question for those who employ them is how large of a position do you establish in said funds in order to, as you stated, compliment a heavy equity portfolio? It just seems to me that unless one takes a substantial position in terms of their overall portfolio they're just fooling themselves in terms of overall returns when they note that this fund did not go down or down as much as their other funds over a given time period. Not a condemnation, just curious.
  • I'll probably be around 15% - 20%of my overall portfolio in WMCNX and one of the above funds, with the rest stocks with a small slice of RSIVX for short term needs. I'm relatively young (40) and not terribly worried about near term volatility, just wanting to hedge a little...and I'm not a fan of bonds.
  • OTCRX is doing very well YTD. Can you please tell me what attracted you to WMCNX as opposed to other similar funds?
  • Yeah, OTCRX seems to be negatively correlated to the market, an interesting play for sure (looking at the predecessor hedge fund returns though, makes me a tad nervous...yes I have access to the monthly return stream through my job).

As for WMCNX, I really like Mr Singer, he's a bright guy...plus I like their use of currencies and their low correlation to equities. I considered PASDX and PAUDX, but I'm not sold on Arnott & not a fan of the large size of the funds. WMCNX has $500 million, still small enough to make decent size bets & not suffer for it.
  • I am really getting interested in WMCNX. Heavy manager investment does not hurt. I'm going to research further.