Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

John Hussman: The Future Is Now

FYI: John never gives up trying.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.hussmanfunds.com/wmc/wmc140428.htm

Comments

• Thanks Ted. I note that Dr Hussman is having an uncharacteristically good year. HSGFX is up
    0.20% YTD.
  • You undoubtedly know this but every strategy has its bull market; every strategy has its bear market.

Good to keep in mind.
  • edited May 2014
    Agree Mark. Extreme myopia is probably an affliction of most of us. As Dickens says (editing liberally here): "... it was clearer than crystal ... that things in general were settled for ever."

Here's what the facts show (if I'm reading them correctly): Over the last decade HSGFX suffered an annualized loss of -1.2%. HSTRX achieved an annualized gain of +4.43%. A 50-50 blend of the two would have earned around +1.62% annualized over that ten-year period (assuming no rebalancing).

Each can make what he wants out of those numbers.
  • Hank-

You don't skate to where the puck is, you skate to where its going to be. Wayne Gretzky said that, and its true for investing as well. It helps with Buffett's Rule No1: Don't lose money.

• I need HSGFX to drop another 10%, shake every one out. Then it will finally start going up.

Everyone please sell NOW !
  • edited May 2014
    Reply to @VintageFreak:

Was trying to help you when I sold 2 years ago.:-)

I enjoy bottom-fishing as much as the next guy - provided you have a steady target. Taking out-sized risk (long or short term) on beaten-up sectors, asset classes or geographic regions can be very smart and rewarding. With HSGFX, however, you have (it seems) a moving target - in that Dr Hussman has an extraordinary amount of discretion on how to position that fund.

Might still work, but the prospects appear much more dependent on manager's decisions than for typical bottom-fishing. Good luck to both.