Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Swapping CVLOX for SGENX

I don't care about M* category. I only care Gary Black (ex Janus) is assuming increasingly important role at Calamos. I don't like that on first principles.

Both are load waived at Schwab and I have been contemplating a switch for months, but my blasted day job I still need to keep distracts me and for some reason I only remembered just now.

Appreciate opinions.

Comments

• Not a single reply ?!?!?!?! SGENX is closing I think. Maybe I should simply sell CVLOX and reduce a fund. However I wanted some convertible exposure that CVLOX gives.

Maybe someone can suggest balanced funds with convertible exposures?
  • What makes you think SGENX is closing?
    The overseas fund is closing, but I haven't heard anything about the global fund.
  • Hi VF,

Looking at the risk parameters (SD, Sharpe Ratio, Sortino Ratio), I would favor SGENX-LW over CVLOX. Despite the First Eagle fund being bloated, it continues to deliver. I would also consider MBAAX and HCOAX which are both LW at Schwab.

Kevin
  • Northern Income Equity NOIEX is roughly 70% stocks 30% convertibles with expenses at 1.0% and 4 stars from Morningstar.
  • @maxlib421: I like what I see here, ranked #18 in the moderate allocation category by U.S. News & World Report.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/moderate-allocation/northern-income-equity-fund/noiex
  • hah! I thought SGENX was closing. Will take closer look again. NOIEX is just your vanilla balanced fund I think. I think I have all balanced funds I need.