Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Matthew 25 Mutual Fund MXXVX

I am passing on an experience I recently had with this fund. The fund is 5 stars at Morningstar with only 28 stock holdings and 7% turnover with an expense ratio of 1.06%. It will sometimes hold high percentage positions in its portfolio as it currently has a 13% position with Apple. I attempted to purchase this fund online through T. Rowe Price Brokerage a few days ago. At one point in the process a message popped onscreen to inform me that the fund was not available to be sold in my state and I was unable to complete the transaction. I called the mutual fund to verify that it was available in my state and then called T Rowe Price to try to get the transaction completed, which ultimately I was able to do. But the reason for me writing this message is the fact that later that afternoon I got a call from Matthew 25 re-confirming the fund's availability and the call came from Mark Mulholland, the portfolio manager. I wasn't even a shareholder yet, but it was the portfolio manager who called me back to handle a customer service issue that I had raised. I was impressed with this level of followup by Matthew 25 and thought it deserved a mention on this forum when we are all so used to robo-calls and an inability to actually reach a human when calling with a complaint or question.

Comments

• @maxlib421: Thanks for the info, Mark Headley runs an outstanding fund shop.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Ted: Just to clarify that Matthew 25 has nothing to do with the fine Matthews fund family. The name of the fund is a bible verse.
  • Well, miracles do happen.... or you must have slammed a helluva heckava 6-figure amount into this fund and received the consequential red carpet VIP treatment. Come to Jesus, and go ye forth and multiply!
  • @maxlib421: In only goes to prove that even the Linkster can be wrong 1 in a 1,000 times.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Matthew 25 - Do unto others as you may them to do unto you. Something like that.

I have owned this fund off and on for the longest time. I have been lucky to buy it and sell it always with a profit and have used it repeatedly to offset losses on the books. I currently own a small position in the fund, the shortest I have ever held. I plan to add to this in market corrections.
  • Amazing 15, 10, 5, 3 year performance record.
    The 5 year return has to be some sort of record for the record books.......
    Who are these people?
    Will need to look into this a bit
  • Well. 5y sure is superior, 10y nothing to rave about if you compare with other v v good funds (FLPSX, PRBLX, YACKX). Note that 5y is sooo superior because their 09 dip is so horrific and the bounceback so long, 4y, unlike the others mentioned. In other words, one wonders what the so-called investor returns are. Who would not have bailed sometime 08-10?
  • Make no mistake, this fund will not protect you in down market. However this guy has his and his extended families entire net worth in the fund. The experience original poster had with direct manager contact is not unique. I've had the same multiple times.

Nothing in life is guaranteed. I can invest with a honest guy regardless of his religion instead of an a**hole who goes to church to absolve himself of his sins. Mulholland IMHO is one of the good guys. I can invest with him in falling market because I know he is experiencing my pain multiple times over. I believe he has several million in the fund.