Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited May 2014
    I wish Gartman would stop getting attention on CNBC. I see his terrible Canadian ETF is no longer.
  • @scott Would you not expect the very best financial comedy show on cable TV to bring in clowns occasionally? Well then, is D Garman not an appropriate guest, if not a most exemplary one?
  • heezsafe said:

@scott Would you not expect the very best financial comedy show on cable TV to bring in clowns occasionally? Well then, is D Garman not an appropriate guest, if not a most exemplary one?

You make an excellent point.
  • From today's show:
    DG: "The market will stop when it stops, and not a moment before." [HOLD THAT]
    And then the CNBC moderator probably said something like this:
    Mod: "Well, thank you again for coming in. As usual, you've certainly given us a lot to think about."
    I mean, is that not a ROFL scene, or what?
    But, then, who is this bearded market-timing philosopher, really?

President “Bobby”: Mr. Gardener, do you agree with Ben, or do you think that we can stimulate growth through temporary incentives?
    [Long pause]
    CG: As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden.
    President “Bobby”: In the garden.
    CG: Yes. In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.
    President “Bobby”: Spring and summer.
    CG: Yes.
    President “Bobby”: Then fall and winter.
    CG: Yes.
    Benjamin Rand: I think what our insightful young friend is saying is that we welcome the inevitable seasons of nature, but we’re upset by the seasons of our economy.
    CG: Yes! There will be growth in the spring!
    Benjamin Rand: Hmm!
    CG: Hmm!
    President “Bobby”: Hmm. Well, Mr. Gardener, I must admit that is one of the most refreshing and optimistic statements I’ve heard in a very, very long time.
    [Benjamin Rand applauds]
    President “Bobby”: I admire your good, solid sense. That’s precisely what we lack on Capitol Hill.

Yes, from watching appearance after appearance, I have become convinced that Dennis Gartman is actually none other than......Chauncey Gardener!
    And that is why he is the only CNBC guest that I cannot NOT watch; it's weird, but I always come away with a better feeling about myself and my investing abilities (which just heightens the hilarity of it all!).
  • I love his analysis: "We’ve been wrong because the world’s markets have not corrected." Translation: "we were wrong because we were not right."

Sometimes I think the only thing the market is efficient at is converting pundits to putzes, and vice versa.

David
  • If I remember correctly, Hartman flip-flopped twice within a month or so, right?
  • edited May 2014
    cman said:

If I remember correctly, Hartman flip-flopped twice within a month or so, right?

Lol, he flip flops constantly. He's also always talking about how he's long commodities in other currencies and the currency seems to be changing every other day. The best is when he's on "Fast Money" and he says something and the people on that show look like they really, really want to say something or question him but they never do.

Gartman has also had three ETFs delisted in two different countries and yet no one says squat. That's what I hate about the financial media - bad performance is never, ever questioned. You just get a cushy gig spouting nonsense every other day.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2187533-lights-going-out-for-off-and-onn
  • That is one reason I stopped watching CNBC.