Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ASTON/Lake Partners LASSO Alternatives Fund - ALSNX

I couldn't find any discussion on this fund. Maybe the reason is it looks terribly expensive. Fund of Funds laying on 1 percentage point on top of an already hefty ER of the funds it holds.

That said, does anyone have any idea on the credibility of lake partners and their LASSO (Long and Short Something Ooof !!!) strategy?

Comments

• Just doing a little research on this fund in the same M* multi-alternative category.About 10% commodities with income producing natural resources,M L P's,miners and some alt-energy. REALX N/L @Schwab
    http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=REALX&region=usa&culture=en-US
    http://www.alpsrealincome.com/documents/pdfs/realx-fs-20140331.pdf
  • Hi Vintage-
    I know Ron Lake. I do not know his brother. I've looked at their strategy. I haven't felt compelled to do more research on it or call.

What portfolio need are you looking to satisfy? I'm sure there are cleaner, less expensive alternatives.

• I'm looking for alternative funds substitute for part of my bond position. These days known as cash position. MASNX is another candidate.
  • "These days known as cash position." LOL. True!

I am unconvinced that these alternative strategy fund of funds are robust against the next cyclical bear market. Personally, I would be interested in a volatility strategy. Extremely cheap right now. You have the possibility of low single digit returns enhanced by sell off protection ( increase in volatility= higher returns). Just a thought and not advice.

• MarkM said:

"These days known as cash position." LOL. True!

I am unconvinced that these alternative strategy fund of funds are robust against the next cyclical bear market. Personally, I would be interested in a volatility strategy. Extremely cheap right now. You have the possibility of low single digit returns enhanced by sell off protection ( increase in volatility= higher returns). Just a thought and not advice.

Sure, but any funds specializing in that sort of thing?