Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PRWAX or VWNFX or both

Helping a friend. She has only two decent large-cap funds in her 401k. I realize one is
large-cap growth and other is large-cap value. PRWAX has larger turnover.
I was a little surprised by a little more drawdown for VWNFX, it being a value fund, from
beginning of 2007 through the bottom in 2008.

Thoughts on the two funds?

Comments

• @Kaspa: When John Bogle went to Jim Barrow back in 1985 it was the beginning of a great fund. However, in 2003 Vanguard started bring in one fund manager after another spoiling the broth, plus asset blot. I'd take a pass on VWNFX, and in my opinion PRWAX is run-of-the-mill. What other funds are available in her 410 (k) ?
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Is there a LC index fund?

IMHO, LC is the area where indexing makes the most sense. Unless you are looking for a manager that has a mandate to preserve capital first, hedge with cash when stocks look pricey and that is the strategy you want (ala funds like YAFFX, PRBLX or SEEDX to name a few) the S&P500 index will out perform most LC funds over time.
  • @mikeM: Congratulations On Bills win !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • MikeM said:

Is there a LC index fund?

IMHO, LC is the area where indexing makes the most sense. Unless you are looking for a manager that has a mandate to preserve capital first, hedge with cash when stocks look pricey and that is the strategy you want (ala funds like YAFFX, PRBLX or SEEDX to name a few) the S&P500 index will out perform most LC funds over time.

There is an index fund VINIX.

• Kaspa said:

MikeM said:

Is there a LC index fund?

There is an index fund VINIX.

That fund has an expense ratio of 0.04%.
    Not a typo. 4 basis points.

Below is the performance, and the performance of its category, large cap blend:

• Kaspa said "She has only two decent large-cap funds in her 401k" (prwax, vwnfx)
  • If there is no cheap index fund option, I would go with Price New America. One lead manager (though new to this fund) with a good record.
  • dicksonL said:

Kaspa said "She has only two decent large-cap funds in her 401k" (prwax, vwnfx)

Thank you everyone for their comments.

Sorry, I did not notice the index fund:-), but it is there.

BobC: With the availability of index fund, would you still prefer Price New America?

Ted: Regarding other funds, there are these three LC funds (PRWAX,VINIX,VWNAX).

There are three in small/midcap space (ABMIX, CAMZX, OTCFX),
    two international (RERGX, DODFX), three bond funds (PTTRX, VFIUX, VBIRX).

She is in her late fortys and currently invested in
    PRWAX (18%), ABMIX(27%), OTCFX(15%), DODFX(22%), PTTRX(18%).

• I am familiar with many of these funds as my 403 offers some, and I am also invested in my own IRA accounts.

The current holdings break-down looks like this, and I think she picked all the good active funds. Although PRWAX may bear watching as a new manager took over in 2013.

PRWAX: domestic large growth
    ABMIX: domestic mid blend
    OTCFX: domestic small growth
    DODFX: foreign large blend
    PTTRX: intermediate term bond

60% : US, 22%: foreign, 18%: bond

A few interesting notes:

VINIX is just the Vanguard institutional version (low cost) of S&P 500 Index.
    ABMIX is closed to new investor. I have the investor version (CHTTX).
    OTCFX is closed to new investor.
    RERGX is foreign large growth with .49% expense. Both DODFX and RERGX are fine choices for foreign exposure.

I am not familiar with the others.

I hope she's comfortable with 82% stock and 18% bond levels:
    https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/saving-investing/model-portfolio-allocations

Hope this helps.