Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• bee September 2011
  • Derf September 2011
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anyone Recharacterizing their 2010 Roth Conversion (deadline Oct 17, 2011)?

beebee
edited September 2011 in Fund Discussions
In 2010, I converted a portion of my self directed IRA into seven individual Roth Accounts. I purposely created seven individual Roth accounts so that I could track the gain or loss over the re-characterization grace period providing me with a simple way to convert only the accounts that produced a positive gain. Each account had an investment theme. They were as follows:

Emerging Market
Energy
Healthcare
Technology
Real Estate
Sml/Mid Cap Equity
Precious Metals

I took a slightly conservative approach to these investments in that any 10-20% gains were converted into cash. I did these conversions in the very last week of 2010 so I did not take full advantage of the re-characterization grace period. What I mean by this is that if I had done the conversion in January of 2010 I would have added an additional 11 months to the grace period. As you may recall there was a lot of uncertainty as to the Bush Tax cuts and Roth provisions for 2010. I waited for clarification.

I now have until October 17th, 2011 (TY2010 extension period) to re-characterize any accounts I converted in 2010 that I do not want to convert at this time. Many (6) accounts have lost value since the date of conversion...one has not. That one account is holding onto a mere 2% gain. This account was invested in PRMTX = T Rowe Price Media and Technology. The other accounts show losses of:

Emerging Market = (-2.4%)...I hold shares of VWO & EDV (EDV shares bought after 15% gain in VWO)
Energy = (-1.2%)...I hold shares of VDE & EDV (EDV shares bought after a 16% gains in VDE)
Healthcare = (-3.9%)...I hold VHT
Technology = (+2%)...I hold PRMTX
Real Estate = (-3.92%)...I hold VNQ
Sml/Mid Cap Equity = (-5.2%)...I hold PRNHX and PRDMX
Precious Metals & Mining = (-3.52%)...I hold VGPMX

Wondering if anyone else made a Roth conversion for 2010 and whether you will be re-characterizing some or all of your conversions?

bee

Comments

• Way to go bee !! I like your 7 different accounts approach ! I haven't done any conversions, but would like to hear what you decide to do. My Question to you: If you re-characterize at a loss, will you have to pay the tax on your loss (at this time) or can you add money to bring yourself back to the beginning balance ?
    In other words if you start with $70,000- $10,ooo / account & lose on average 5% / account . Will you need to pay taxes on the loss $3500 ?

Thanks, Derf
  • Reply to @Derf:

Hi Derf,

By creating (7) separate $5K accounts I am able to decide which account to actually convert in 2011. and which I chose to re-characterize (return back to self directed IRA status). I probably would not want to convert accounts that proved to be "losers" (worth less than when I converted).

You can not "back fill" accounts that have lost value with additional monies. These accounts can be re-characterized without a tax consequence.