Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

So? Does one just go all in for Healthcare sectors to make a buck today?

A silly question I suppose. I'm a chart'in the energy stuff; which make take several months to try to fish the bottom. It appears that there are probably deals being offered here and there from the sellers to the buyers for a boat load of crude. One might imagine price undercutting among "friends" in the oil patch.

Ya'll hang in there,
Catch

Comments

• edited December 2014
    What about real estate? That has also done well.
  • I thought I was a little crazy buying Vghcx at $187 a share. Been happy with it, as I have PRHSX, but DCA into that funds years ago.
  • Howdy @JohnChisum

We've held FRIFX for several years; a conservative fund, equity/bond mix. A farily smooth and tame fund by normal real estate fund standards.
    But, will remain with current healthcare holdings and keep an eye towards the energy related area.
    You got through the storm okay, yes?
    Catch
  • Hi Catch,

One might be tempted to concentrate a portfolio in one of the few advancing sectors, but maybe, just maybe, this might be a sign to exercise extreme caution, as the broad market is losing momentum. In our portfolio, we are seeking partial cover with our position in PQTIX, and we are considering a position in QLEIX.

Kevin
  • edited December 2014
    i switched a bunch of POAGX for PRHSX a week or two ago and am glad i did, so far. actually wish i'd switched it all, so far. but it does worry me that the health-care chorus is all singing a single note. then again, i thought the same thing one year ago and two years ago, when i first started buying PRHSX. at some point, the sector does have to go belly up for a while, right? the fact that, near as i can tell, it's *never* really happened, doesn't mean it won't, right? (p.s., like Kevin, I too have been buying PQTIX, hoping that it'll provide some cover when the doody hits the fan.)
  • edited December 2014
    kevindow said:

Hi Catch,

One might be tempted to concentrate a portfolio in one of the few advancing sectors, but maybe, just maybe, this might be a sign to exercise extreme caution, as the broad market is losing momentum. In our portfolio, we are seeking partial cover with our position in PQTIX, and we are considering a position in QLEIX.

Kevin

I own both (although different share classes) and am pleasantly surprised (and just generally surprised) at how well the Pimco fund continues to hold up, including often on both good days and bad.

As I've noted in other threads, continue to like health care and would be okay with adding more if there was an opportunity to do so. I believe PRHSX has a huge distribution in a few days.
  • edited December 2014
    Hi @kevindow

Not that M & A is not taking place in other sectors, too; but because of large capital outlays R & D in the bio/health area, I feel the M & A will continue to be stronger in this sector versus other areas. With this (M&A) supporting pricing going forward in the broad healthcare sector.
    This is obviously just my opinion and viewpoint; and perhaps I am offbase with this view, but one of the overall reasons for our investments in "health".
    Take care,
    Catch
  • I'm also happy with PQTIX. They've been making major allocation shifts from month to month; not sure if they can keep it up, but it's good while it lasts. Also thinking about adding a small position in QMNNX (AQR's new market neutral fund).
  • Example sometimes Demo's best:
    I had some extra money on Sept.17th bought VHT for $117.80 no commissions from vanguard Today it is 126.47 (+7.3% profit) in three months, after being down -2.53% this week like everything else, otherwise I make 10%+ for short term investing, still might before EOY ......just saying...Healthcare....