Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

When your credit card charge is denied

edited January 2015 in Off-Topic
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/26/us-column-yourmoney-creditcarddenial-idUSBRE83P0ZH20120426

Linked article (above) is a couple years old. It describes the problems I recently encountered. Curious if others are having similar problems. We travel out of state about a dozen times a year. Rely on our major bank Visa card and also use a debit card to shop and get cash back. Like the woman in the article, we pay in full every month, have plenty of credit, and haven't experienced these issues in the past.

While shopping in Macy's NYC store few days ago I found a great pair of shoes that fit perfect. Price with tax was bit over $150. But, the normally trusty Visa card was declined. No problem, my debit card from a smaller local bank where I have a substantial deposit has a Master Card logo. I'll use that bank's card. Nope - that one was declined too. Humm ... I'll just use it as a debit card by entering my secret PIN number. Great. It worked! Nice shoes. I called the Visa card issuer when back at the hotel and was smugly advised to notify them every time we plan to travel out of state. And, on returning home to Michigan there were two messages on our answering machine from the bank whose debit card I had used asking us to call immediately. Before I could do so, the phone rang. It was a bank manager who was very concerned fraud may have occurred based on that one purchase. I assured him I really had shopped at Macy's NYC and had used my debit card there.

Yikes - does anybody really phone their banks every time before traveling out of state? How do we stop this excessive scrutiny of our every move? I guess an alternative would be an issuer who doesn't engage in this nonsense.

Comments

• I thought it was for international travel that they needed to be notified about? Maybe the bank has had an increase in fraudulent activity and tightened up?
  • edited January 2015
    I feel your pain.

Honestly, come to hate most CC companies.

Commenity Bank probably worst CC company I've experienced.

Never ending checks of charges.

When we first received the card, Google Drive made a $1 charge.

For Commenity, that's an instant alert flag.

They called and left a message on my cell.

I was on an airplane.

When I landed, they were closed...for the weekend!

And the card was shut down.

The absolute worst I've ever experienced.

We contribute to various charities.

A $100 even contribution...instant flag.

And, if you do not respond immediately, they shut the card down.

When we travel, I've learned to call their fraud desk to let them know what states we will be in...not just aboard, but stateside travel now requires calling ahead.

Honestly, it's the worst. And, suspect many have gotten this crazy.

We now carry two CCs, cause you simply can't trust any of them to be there...when you need them most.

c
  • Remarkably (to me), some people like this. They feel it shows the banks are taking an active interest in security. In my mind, it shows that the banks are shifting the costs of security/losses from themselves to their customers (in time and inconvenience). Instead of having invested in better technology years ago (e.g. chip and PIN, which we're still not getting), we have to do more and more to be "allowed" to use our cards.

My FIA (BofA subsidiary) account number was changed twice this year. BofA won't tell you anything, but when pressed will say only that it's for security and it's nothing that you did. In other words, yet again their system or that of a vendor, was "compromised".

An oldie but goodie (1997) along those lines - CalTrain (Bay Area) office was broken into (window smashed), and a PC stolen. PC had credit card numbers on it.
    http://www.paloaltoonline.com/weekly/morgue/news/1997_Apr_4.CALTR001.html

Even though my number was changed (twice), FIA continued to accept automated monthly charges made on the first of the three numbers. (I didn't get around until recently to changing the billing account on the vendors' sites.)

And the banks don't tell you. I found out about the last change when I tried to check my bill online. The system said I had no account - not that the number was changed, but that the account was gone. Seems that when they're processing the change, the banks (or at least BofA) takes down the account completely. So don't wait until the last day to pay your bill - you may not be able to find out what it is, or be able to pay it.

Denied use? A couple of years ago, just as I was about to leave on a month long (domestic) trip, I found out (by luck, I think) that my primary card was frozen (number being changed, again). The bank told me that they would put an override on the account so that I could continue using the card for at least part of the time.

When I got to the car rental, the card was denied. (Fortunately, I carry several backups.) When I got to the hotel, I told them that the card would probably be denied, but to try running it. Denied, of course. Turns out that their override mechanism is via a second system that goes down for maintenance Sunday nights, when I was arriving at my destination. More information they don't tell you until you get burned. Card worked okay the next day when I didn't need it.

• "While shopping in Macy's NYC store few days ago I found a great pair of shoes that fit perfect. Price with tax was bit over $150."

Not that it will help with your CC, but next time if you buy something slightly less expensive, you can avoid the tax (clothing/shoes in NYC under $110 are exempt):
    http://www.tax.ny.gov/press/rel/2012/clothingsalestax032812.htm
  • edited January 2015
    msf said: "Not that it will help with your CC, but next time if you buy something slightly less expensive, you can avoid the tax (clothing/shoes in NYC under $110 are exempt)"

Thanks. Explains why later on, only a few floors lower, I was able to get the same (Visa) card to go through for a $40 sweater. However, can't fit very many sweaters into the airline's baggage allowance. Shoes work better.

Here's a thought: Next time I'll ask the clerk to break up the shoe purchase into 2 single shoes - charging $70-$80 for each one.:)
  • I stopped using our FIA (BofA) card because of frequent shut-downs. Worst was in Europe where we got stuck having to use a back-up card that had a foreign-exchange fee. Complained to BofA (who at one point had our credit, checking, and mortgage accounts through consolidation) and asked for refund of extra fees. No response. I switched to CapitalOne Quicksilver. No complaints so far.
  • beebee
    edited January 2015
    I've stopped using my CC to pay periodic auto payments for fear that I forget to connect the dots when my card gets compromised. I received a water shut off notice last year while away from home for a number of months as a result of nonpayment. My CC on record to pay the water bill was no longer active and I didn't connect the dots to this auto payment.

I'm back to snail mail and writing checks.
  • In my situation living overseas, I have to watch my cards very close. In a couple of cases the bank has reissued new cards and deleted the old ones due to security breaches. I have three cards but sometimes these breaches affect two cards as what happened a couple of years ago. I had a family member FedEx the card to me, saving me a flight.

We all depend on these cards for everyday expenses. The banks have been slow to adopt newer technologies and it makes me wonder if that has cost them more money in the end had they just gone ahead with newer tech cards? The next evolution of paying with phones and such might be a bit more secure but the bank policies will still be around.

This is amplified if you have one card you like to use Because of airline miles program or other benefits.
  • edited January 2015
    they look at your particular travel and spending pattern. if going out of state is not your typical pattern, they will flag the transaction. all banks now have an online notification service of intended travel destinations and dates.

years ago chase called to verify our spending in europe. they stopped as the pattern continued. (we never had issues spending out of state.) next time when i called them, they didn't care -- they said to tell them when i am next going to the ukraine again, not london.

when one of my cards was breached, the fraudulent changes that appeared were multiple hundreds of dollars spent by a thief in ...... macy's department store in new york! we got a call immediately (even before some of the charges hit the cc). i dk'd the charges and received a new card.

so i am of those people who don't mind extra diligence from the cc company. do use there online notification services before travel to avoid any surprises.
  • FWIW: I recently received replace CC. It stated the chip had been removed because enough people weren't using it to justify it !

Happy travels, Derf
  • edited January 2015
    Years ago. Shopping in Asia. Card declined at the shoe store. Then a ladies shop for fancy gowns. Angry? What, me angry!? HELL, yes. I had room on the card. The hotel had put a BIG oversized hold on the card until the actual cost of my stay was charged. Mongrel dogs.
  • @fundalarm, Exactly. Your description of patterns is what they are looking for. On trips to the states I will give them dates arriving and departing. So far I haven't had any problems. (Knock on wood)
  • I don't go "overseas" wherever that is? so no problems
    But in the U.S. I used a CC issued by my Commercial Bank, (Wells Fargo), which is also tied to my checking/savings account, They have never declined any charges (and better never) and of course I am protected 100% against any fraudulent charges........
    presto, no problems....
  • What kind of shoes for $150?
  • Wallmart has Allstar tennis shoes for $20 in size 13, MY shoe store....
    But I have 100's of dress shoes, Wing tips and everything I would give you....no longer needed....
  • edited January 2015
    @Scott: ecco

There were some other brands there for $400+ (more in your league:)
  • edited January 2015
    @fundalarm. It's not that we don't go out of state much. We do. However, visiting a department store while traveling is rare. There weren't any Broadway shows Monday afternoon and the weather (wind & cold) was brutal. Nice to see you posting. Maybe you can bring some sense to this bond market.
  • edited January 2015
    hank said:

@Scott: ecco

There were some other brands there for $400+ (more in your league:)

LOL, I'm the person who buys "last year's model" or "that color that didn't turn out to be as popular as we'd hoped" K-Swiss (love K-Swiss, for some reason there always seems to be a couple of "older" or "off" models for cheap) for 50-60% off on Amazon whenever I need non-dress shoes.
  • edited January 2015
    HA - Than those $400+ ones must clearly have Ted's name written on them.:)
  • edited January 2015
    hank said:

HA - Than those $400+ ones must clearly have Ted's name written on them.:)

inside the shoe did you notice a trademark symbol "Linkster Shoes"

carry cash (is that still available) or travelers checks (do they still make them) next time.

• @Accipiter

Very BIG shoes to fill
  • Travelers checks are not welcome at more and more places overseas. I have heard horror stories of visitors trying to cash them at banks. ATM is actually the better option.
  • edited January 2015
    hank said:

@Accipiter

Very BIG shoes to fill

get yourself a BIG pair of shoes, when you travel, fill the socks with cash.

@JohnChisum ... Yes. atm with a bank that has branches throughout the US for domestic travel. although daily withdrawals may be limited via atm.

• edited January 2015
    Walking the crowded streets of Manhattan with a bunch of cash - stuffed in our socks or otherwise - does not sound appealing, especially late at night on the way back to the hotel from the wonderful plays we enjoy.
  • edited January 2015
    :)I hereby close this thread.
  • Accipiter said:

hank said:

Walking the crowded streets of Manhattan with a bunch of cash - stuffed in our socks or otherwise - does not sound appealing, especially late at night on the way back to the hotel from the wonderful plays we enjoy.

It worked for me for a number of years in NYC, only got heldup at knifepoint once, but I wore sneekers instead of shoes, so I could run faster. and tight socks so the cash wouldn't fall out:)
    Good thing they weren't Air Jordans or one of the other highly prized shoes.
  • edited January 2015
    hank said:

:)I hereby close this thread.

it was fun while it lasted.