Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

TurboTax’s Increased Cost Has Some Users Fuming

FYI: Intuit has riled up many long-time users of its TurboTax software by requiring taxpayers who file certain common schedules to shift to a more expensive version to prepare their 2014 taxes.

Starting this year, TurboTax customers who want to use the software on their personal computers can’t use the Deluxe version if they want to e-file Schedule C for a business, Schedule D for capital gains and losses, or Schedule E for rental property. Instead, they must buy either the Premier or the Home & Business version of TurboTax, which generally cost at least $30 more.
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.wsj.com/totalreturn/2015/01/13/turbotaxs-increased-cost-has-some-users-fuming/tab/print/?mg=blogs-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.wsj.com%2Ftotalreturn%2F2015%2F01%2F13%2Fturbotaxs-increased-cost-has-some-users-fuming%2Ftab%2Fprint&fpid=2,121

Comments

• Yep, it stinks. Basically a 67% increase in the cost of tax software for my taxes. I'm voting with my feet. I've used Turbotax for at least 20 years. This year I will switch to H&R Block.
  • edited January 2015
    Had horrible experience with H & R Block, will not do that again.
  • My Tax (expert) Person is going to charge the same...and save more (hopefully)
  • Hi Scott,
    Can you elaborate on your horrible experience with HR?
    I've had issues with Turbotax in the past with mistakes in the handling of K-1's and foreign income, but nothing I couldn't over-ride. I assumed HR would be similar.

• I think if you have BOA you can use it for free last yr? is this still true this yr?
  • edited January 2015

Hi Scott,
    Can you elaborate on your horrible experience with HR?
    I've had issues with Turbotax in the past with mistakes in the handling of K-1's and foreign income, but nothing I couldn't over-ride. I assumed HR would be similar.

Basically, I had a fair (not a mountain by any means!) amount to go through (a lot of trades that year, for example) and I guess I didn't know what to expect. I went to one of the "Premium" offices. The person was a complete grouch and it was really very much a "You're a number" experience, from the standpoint of they were clearly upset at the amount of stuff that I had and was basically rushed out for the next person. The planner seemed pissed that my stuff would take longer than the meeting.

Took a long time and cost a fortune because they bill by the amount of boxes they fill in. Gotta lot of trades, K-1's?. I could have easily gone to an individual planner and had it been cheaper. Lesson learned.

Keep in mind that this was a "Premium" office, I'd hate to see what the experience would be like at a non-premium one.

It may work out okay for people who have simple returns (again, the more they have to enter, the more it costs), but from the standpoint of the overall experience, I was pretty ticked off. If you look around online, quite a few others have said similar.

If you have a lot of things like K-1's and foreign income (like I do), then I'd ab-so-fricking-lutely not recommend it. If it takes you a fair amount of time to put everything in when you do Turbotax (all the k-1 details and foreign income and things like that), H & R will cost a lot.

With the amount of K-1's I have this year, it would cost even more than the ridiculous amount it cost me when I went there.

I tried TT last year and would happily do that again in comparison. But that's just me.

• Note that this applies only to downloaded program (client) and not the web version, so only a fifth of their customers. I have to stick with TT because it auto-imports (seamlessly) Fido and Merrill, which the others do not, or not yet. When I switched from TaxCut several years ago I sure found TT easier and faster.
  • I have always used the downloaded program. On the Intuit website, it sure looks like the price increase applies to the online versions as well (i.e., Deluxe no longer handles Sched. D, etc.). Plus there is a little * that says the price of the online version will be determined when you file -- that makes me very nervous. I do not trust TT anymore.

Thanks, Scott, for your experience. For HR Block, I thought I could download their software and do my taxes myself, the same way I did with TT. Is that not true? I certainly don't want to pay for data entry that I can perfectly well do myself.
  • edited January 2015
    A pen and paper and calculator work as well for sched A, B, C, D, and all others. and it is only the cost of the ink (10 cents maybe) and less than a buck for postage. and it is not rocket science to fill out and the irs will send all forms and instructions.

• Thanks, Scott, for your experience. For HR Block, I thought I could download their software and do my taxes myself, the same way I did with TT. Is that not true? I certainly don't want to pay for data entry that I can perfectly well do myself.

I'm not sure about the web/software side of HR, but omg, do yourself a favor and don't go into a location.
  • Hi Accipiter -- Yes, paper and pencil work well, too. I just like to have the calculation back up. I once made a 2 dollar math mistake on a state return and got fined $40. So, I felt like it was worth it to have the spreadsheets all set up.

Hi Scott -- definitely won't go into a location.
  • IRW, no, not exactly; see

http://www.forbes.com/sites/janetnovack/2015/01/09/irate-turbotax-users-can-get-free-upgrades-or-block-substitute/

... the two paras beginning 'If Intuit was ready to give ...'.

The online version, which I have used since changing over from TaxCut some time ago and which I strongly recommend, has required the more expensive product for a couple years now. It saves me massive headaches by importing and properly parsing brokerage data.
  • I used to have a Tax (expert) in my business days that charged $150 a 1/2 hour, He told me he used to have people come into his office with a Box(s) of receipts and broker statements and say "here do my return" he said "fine the meters running" hard telling what their Tax Prep. bill was.....ps. he had 5-10 girls(processors) working for Him....16hours a day during tax season
    Gold mine business.....Hard telling how much money he saved me over my career.
  • edited January 2015
    We tried unsuccessfully to get the TRP/TurboTax discount (whatever it is) today. Somehow, I think we ended up entering our TRP user name & password at Turbotax's site. Promptly reset our user name and password at TRP, as well as all the others as it was time to do so anyway.

Ready to get going with H&R Block's program which is on order from Amazon. Still awaiting our tax form ("W4 - R" or whatever they call it) to arrive Snail-mail from Price. (I guess those can't be downloaded yet.)