Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Re-emergence of The Balanced Fund.

This is an interesting article that looks back in history on the usage of balanced funds and their dropping out of popularity with the advent of asset allocation. Now the balanced fund is coming back with a new look.

http://dailyalts.com/weekend-reading-re-emergence-balanced-fund/

Comments

• Vanguard has two of the best....My wife calls them her 8% lifetime annuities.....and don't touch them!....or else I will be sorry.....so....I don't
  • I was curious at to what are the 2 Vanguard funds you are referring to? If you also have the symbols, I would appreciate that. The 2 funds could be a good option to add to my portfolio. Are they managed externally or by Vanguard
  • @learningcurve: I believe TPA is referring to Wellington & Wellesley.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited January 2015
    VWELX, VWINX....Lower cost versions with $50,000, Class of the Field and portfolio anchors,
    your welcome
  • The two I have owned for a long time are FPACX and OAKBX.

@Tampabay Well, conceptually, one has to "twirk the definitions" a bit; but when you step back and take a look at the real returns of the 60/40 over a longer chunk of time, your wife isn't much off the mark re. her "lifetime annuity" perspective.