Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Final 2015 Barron's Roundtable: 33 Savvy Picks: Faber, Herro, Schafer, And Gabelli

FYI: (Click On Article Title At Top Of Google Search)
Final 2015 Roundtable issue with Marc Faber, David Herro, Oscar Schafer, and Mario Gabelli discussing their approach to investing.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=stratgies+for+a+new+age+barron's&oq=stratgies+for+a+new+age+barron's&gs_l=hp.3...1830.15777.0.16068.32.32.0.0.0.0.72.1755.32.32.0.msedr...0...1c.1.61.hp..6.26.1392.fKBBMGhIiI0

Comments

• I'd say Marc Faber is doubling down. Sure he's been a little wrong - since the dawn of time - but he makes up for it in confidence. Same for Peter Schiff and John Mauldin.
    Faber: If I could find a way to short central banks, that is what I would do. This is the year that people will lose confidence in central banks, mostly because of the failure of Abenomics in Japan. [Abenomics, the economic policies advocated by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to reignite Japan’s economy, encompass monetary easing, fiscal stimulus, and structural reforms.] One way to short central banks is to go long gold. I recommend buying physical gold, silver, and platinum. If you are looking for bigger gains, I suggest either mining-company stocks or the Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners [GDXJ] exchange-traded fund. In last year’s first half, when gold rebounded by 15%, the Junior Gold Miners ETF rallied by more than 40%.
  • edited January 2015
    "Faber: If I could find a way to short central banks, that is what I would do."

In a technical, round about way; shorting central banks for the past 6 or so years would amount to investing (being long) in the areas that central banks were/are trying to stimulate, yes?

That would be one's choice of equity and bond sectors to suit their risk/reward.

Or is it that I'm really not very smart about investments? Are these things really harder than this to understand or do some make them to difficult for their own well being?

Regards,
    Catch
  • I'm a little put off by David Herro joining the Roundtable and then having to clown for the photos. I don't invest with Oakmark because they have celebrity managers.