Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jonathan Clements: Four Reason To Boost Your Foreign-Stock Exposure

FYI: (Click On Article Title At Top Of Google Search)
What goes down might come up.
Foreign stocks had a losing year in 2014—but they could juice your portfolio’s performance if U.S. stocks falter, as many folks now fear. Here are four reasons I’m inclined to up my allocation to both emerging markets and developed foreign markets:
Regards,
Ted
https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=Four+Reasons+to+Boost+Your+Foreign-Stock+Exposure+Jonathan+Clements&oq=Four+Reasons+to+Boost+Your+Foreign-Stock+Exposure+Jonathan+Clements&gs_l=hp.3...5025.13707.0.14114.18.18.0.0.0.0.75.1149.18.18.0.ehm_loc...0...1c.1.62.hp..15.3.195.5DNUlN5eR3k

Comments

• A few active management funds I have screened based on comparative performance within their sector:

Foreign Small Blend - GLFOX
    Foreign Small Value - QUSOX
    Foreign Small Growth - WAIOX
    World Allocation - KTRSX
    Europe - CAEZX
  • edited February 2015
    I added fund number fifty three; and, it is held in my small/mid cap sleeve in the growth area of the portfolio. The fund is AJVAX which is a foreign small/mid cap fund. Interestingly, it has a yield of about 2.8% and a Forward P/E Ratio of 11.

I have linked below its Morningstar report for those that might be interested.

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=AJVAX&region=USA

In the not to distant future I still have plans to start to lighten up in my equity holdings. With this, it is too early to tell when I'll start trimming and what will go. But, something will.

Have a good weekend and I wish all "Good investing."

Old_Skeet
  • msf
    edited February 2015
    bee said:

A few active management funds I have screened based on comparative performance within their sector:

Foreign Small Blend - GLFOX
    Foreign Small Value - QUSOX
    Foreign Small Growth - WAIOX
    World Allocation - KTRSX
    Europe - CAEZX

Not to rain too heavily on your parade, but regarding a couple of the funds I recognize here:

The Lazard Global Listed Infrastructure Fund (GLFOX) is just what it sounds like - a sector fund, and one that even for a concentrated fund, is very concentrated (1/3 of its assets in its top five holdings). It is value leaning (as is typical of Lazard), unlike most infrastructure funds (and despite M*'s characterization of the fund as blend). A fine fund, and it holds mostly foreign equity, but that's as far as it goes to fitting in as a foreign fund.

Polaris Foreign Value Small Cap (QUSOX) - if you're including this one and a world allocation fund, it seems that you might also want to list Polaris Global Value (PGVFX) - a world stock fund from the same team, that recently lowered its ER to make it quite attractive. (As M* notes, its former higher cost was its only negative.)

Acorn Europe Z (CAEZX) - like the rest of the Acorn funds, this noload share class is closed except to grandfathered investors (who own any Columbia or Acorn Z class shares from before 2005). I keep a toehold for just this reason.